sp2

mesmd 22:54 13 Apr 05

Hi,
I've been managing well without the sp2 installation. I use sp1 with a variety of anti spy, anti viral and various anti malware programs. I also use a router with its built in external firewall and a 3rd party software firewall. I update all definitions and or upgrades for all the above regularly. I also run all these security programs daily throughout the night as my small home wired network is always on. Whenever I , now very rarely, get a trojan, virus, or any malware, I instantly make sure it is annihilated. I turn of system restore to rescan and and remove the hidden virus, etc. that can hide in system restore. Then I turn back on system restore. My question is I do not want to install sp2!!! Do I really have to, given my current state of security that I run regularly? I know that sp2 will have holes in its security with time as my current system does, but I update what I currently have as much as possible. Or is there an absolute necessity to install sp2 because in time, without it, I will run out of the prerequisite need to have sp2 to further update my security? Or can I just keep sp1, as I wish, and still keep my security updated without the need to install sp2? Thank you very much.
Sincerely,

Miles E. Stone, M.D

VoG II 22:59 13 Apr 05

Why are you worried?

stalion 22:59 13 Apr 05

If you are happy to stay with SP1 then unless microsoft make it compulsory to have SP2 it is not a problem.I am still useing SP1 also with no problems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 13 Apr 05

There is a lot of hype about SP2 problems, most of it incorrect.

The main problem was with certain motherboards and prescott cpu a patch has been released to cure this.

Alot of "part time experts" cure all is to tell people to unistall sp2 to cure whatever problem they have followed by format and reinstall the whole system if that doesn't work. Total rubbish!

Many more people have installed Sp2 without problems have done it numerous times on my own machines and for other people without mishap.

mesmd 23:23 13 Apr 05

Thanks to all you guys for such a quick reply to my question. I guess I have felt secure in the past by periodically downloading and installing M$ critical updates! Now, since I am not installing sp2, no more support will be offered for sp1 and no further updates can be received without having sp2 installed!!Is there, or will there, be some alternate way to update sp1? Or just the way I am currently, with my security measures and their updates, but no further support from M$, etc.?
Thanks for any further thoughts.

Mesmd

woodchip 23:35 13 Apr 05

SP2 replaces SP1 it is integrated into it. So MS is not going to keep pushing old updates. And saying all that MS updates for my Win98se Comp as lost me a Day in rescuing two partitions as it would not boot after some 19 odd Mb download. A case of Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

stalion 23:39 13 Apr 05

There are currently updates available for sp1 if you have not downloaded them already

DieSse 00:52 14 Apr 05

SP2 has been changed to a standard "critical update" - it will download automatically if you have the standard updating turned on. MS changed it from optional about two days ago.

Stuartli 10:30 14 Apr 05

SP2 was launched, after a long gestation period, for very good reasons.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ rightly points out there are a lot of myths and conspiracy theories with regard to SP2 but I, and a very considerable wedge of the world's population, have installed it without any comeback; in my case it's on several systems and, in the case of one of my offspring, many hundreds...:-)

CurlyWhirly 10:57 14 Apr 05

I installed SP2 months ago and had NO problems with it and everything is STILL running smoothly.
You hear about the scare stories but not so much about the successful installations which make up the vast majority of cases!

mesmd 23:24 14 Apr 05

Stalion,
Where can I check that I have all the sp1 updates or where can I go to download them?
Thanks,
mesmd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…