sp1 & sp2

picklesy 16:29 11 Aug 04

a couple of questions please.
1 if i have to use my recovery disk and i go to windows updates will it update to sp1 or sp2.
2 to get sp2 do you have to have sp1 installed.
3 as i have downloaded and saved sp2 can i put it on to a disk and put it on my daughters pc as she is only on dialup.anyone any idea thanks.

ventanas 17:03 11 Aug 04

Your recovery disc will probably take your pc back to where it was when you bought it. You will have to apply all updates since then. It is possible to download any that you want and save them to cd by personalising your Windows update. I'm not sure if SP2 containes the SP1 files or not. I would wait for another answer to that one. If it does it would seem that you would have no problems with previous updates. As for your third point, that's just what I am doing. BB here, dialup at home.

picklesy 17:12 11 Aug 04

ventanas thanks for that will save to disk for myself for now.just phoned my daughter and she told me she gave up a while ago on downloading sp1 so if you don,t need sp1 and just installed sp2 would it work or just cause problems.anyone please it would be nice to help my daughter out.

johnsims 17:43 11 Aug 04

To be certain download SP1 as a file as well - using the personalisation of Windows update mentioned above.

picklesy 17:50 11 Aug 04

how do you personalise windows update,and would windows not just scan my pc and tell me i,m up to date.if so how would i get sp1.i do have sp1 on a disk from microsoft but it doesn,t seem to work on my pc.it,s about 6 or 7 months old now anyway.thanks for all responses.

ventanas 22:17 11 Aug 04

If you personalise Win Update (there is an option on the left hand side of the site window) You then have to choose your OS and then search for updates. (I think that's how it goes. A long time since I did it). Once the updates are listed you can download them all without installing. You define the save to folder on the site before starting to download. You can then copy them to CD.

hugh-265156 00:31 12 Aug 04

if you reset to factory settings then as above you will need to install all the updates again for xp.

powerless had a great wee guide on how to back up windows updates to cd or dvd click here service pack 2 should also be listed here im guessing.

powerless 00:42 12 Aug 04

err not yet.

SP2 shoots back to v4 as i can tell. So it's the same more or less.

Or: click here

hugh-265156 00:55 12 Aug 04

thanks Powerless

picklesy 07:40 12 Aug 04

thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…