SP 2 and RAMBUS query

wobblymike 14:14 27 Oct 04

I have 2 queries both associated with a PC I am building

I have a MOBO which up to now has used 184 pin RAMBUS - can I use ordinary 184 pin DDR RAM?

When installing my XP OS do I need to install SP1 prior to SP2 or does SP2 have all the contents of SP1?

Rgds

Mike

Gaz W 14:22 27 Oct 04

SP2 contains everything SP1 did, so there's no need to install SP1 first. Basically SP1 replaced files, and SP2 replaces the replaced files (or the original Windows installation ones) and adds some new stuff.

As for RAMBUS, I've no idea whether your board can do what you're asking or not. Have you got the manual?

wobblymike 14:46 27 Oct 04

Gaz W
Thanks for the SP gen - I do have a manual but it does not address this issue just describes what memory is installed. I ask the question because looking at a stick of DDR RAM and a stick of RAMBUS they look identical. I know RAMBUS is faster but it is also much more expensive and much less easy to get

Gaz W 14:55 27 Oct 04

What make/model is the motherboard? It might be that you can use a site like click here to get more information about it.

Gaz W 14:56 27 Oct 04

By the way... I'm not so sure it would take DDR 400 or DDR 333. If it's RAMBUS the chances are (correct me if I'm wrong) that it will be a few years old, so if it takes DDR it might only be DDR 266 or even DDR 200 or something like that.

wobblymike 15:36 27 Oct 04

Thanks for your thoughts very interesting stuff MOBO is a Asus P4T533-C (RAMBUS) Item number: 6717169736.

hillybilly 15:46 27 Oct 04

If it has Rambus memory then it will not take DDR memory.

Gaz W 16:00 27 Oct 04

It appears not!

It's just that I seem to remember some boards having the 2 types of slots for DIMMs and RAMBUS, but maybe I'm thinking of the old SIMMs and DIMMs!

hillybilly 17:32 27 Oct 04

I think you remember mobo's that would take SDRAM or DDRAM. I'm sure rambus or rimbus as some called it was only used with early Intel P4's

citadel 23:21 27 Oct 04

I think rambus works using a different system to ddr ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…