sound/vision synch when burning dvds

Bertie B 13:21 16 Jan 05

Are there any DVD burning experts out there?

I have a Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP Deluxe Tuner Card in my Pentium 2.4 PC with XP Home OS. Recording via the Winfast PVR software I am using the Direct Burn DVD PAL setting to record from TV to my Freecom Classic Series USB2 DVD-RW Drive. Video Codec is MPEG-2 Size 720 x 576 Bitrate 5000 kbps Frame Rate 25000 fps. Audio Codec is MPEG-1 Audio Layer-II. Bitrate 224 kbps.

The picture and sound quality are excellent but throughout the playback the sound falls behind the video to a point that after about 45 mins of recording the sound is about two words behind the video - i.e the lips move then the sound is heard later.

I have established that if I capture video to my HDD [as opposed to Direct Burn], using the same Codec settings [with the exception that Bitrate can be either 4000 or 6000 depending on quality required.] and then import the Winfat TV file into Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator v6 and then burn to disk [same DVD +RW] the sound and video remain in synch for the duration of the playback - BUT the processing then takes about 5-6 hours for every hour of recorded material.

Can anyone shed some light on a possible remedy, please?

Fellsider 14:49 16 Jan 05

Is this happening every time?

I had a similar problem but had recorded to the HDD before writing the DVD. On thoroughly checking both the edited file and the original file it was the original image from the TV that had the fault.

Graham ® 14:54 16 Jan 05

This can happen because the audio and video are processed separately. Can't help with a solution as I don't do it.

Bertie B 15:14 16 Jan 05

Yes - it happens everytime I try to use direct burn but when I record to HDC then write to DVD it is ok!

Bertie B 15:15 16 Jan 05

Make that "HDD"!!

SEASHANTY 16:05 16 Jan 05

There have been many threads over the past year regarding out of sync sound with video. (pj123 is one of the posters I recall). If you type in <sound out of sync> in the search box to the left it will only bring up two threads (one of which is your own previous posting). The only sure way to avoid this and to record VHS or TV to DVD in real time is to use a domestic DVD recorder. This is also much quicker than using the PC.

I have never tried direct burn. So cannot comment on the process.

Sometimes you have to take the long way to get the correct results.

I would however suspect that the cause is that 5000KBs is a good quality capture rate if done at CBR. Overtime, in order to keep up, something has to give, and thats the sync.

Graham ® 16:48 16 Jan 05

Put vhs in search.

SEASHANTY 15:50 17 Jan 05

Hi Graham - that was a good bit of inspiration. It brings up 114 threads. Just for a check I typed in
<dvd> in the left hand search box and it brings up 500 threads. This must be the way to search that I have never found before. Seems that just one word entries are the most likely to bring results.

topdude 16:20 17 Jan 05

Have had the same problem using Nero to write the MPEG from HDD to DVD.

Was much worse when using XP SP2 and Nero Reloaded. Tried XP SP1 and Nero6 and the Sync is very good.

Maybe you could try different versions ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…