soundrec takeover

johnincrete 05:25 10 Feb 10

Without any deliberate action on my part, I am finding many audio files have their type changed from .wav to soundrec. The miniture icon that shows in "my computer" is the Windows Media Player icon on what looks like the page with a corner as in "New Document".
When I double-click to play the file, I get a Windows message saying that it needs to know what program to use. Selecting WMP from the list offered plays the file but does not change the type soundrec.
All the files affected where produced in the same way: a live audio recording on tape or digital recorder, edited in WavePad and saved as .wav.
Does anyone know what caused the file type to be changed - and more to the point - how I can stop it happening in the future?
Is there any way I can re-associate all soundrec files with WMP as a batch rather than one-by-one?

johnincrete 06:09 10 Feb 10

I've just used two audio converters to convert .mp3 to .wav and the resultant files are type soundrec as described in the first post.
I've also searched using "Everything" and there are NO .wav files on any of my discs when there should be hundreds.
Taking one new file and looking at its properties I am told that its type is soundrec & opens with unknown application.
Oh how I hate Windows! I shudder to think how much time I have wasted because of this user-unfriendly system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…