Soundcards refuse to work under XP - why?

DocP 00:05 24 May 04

I have installed two different (working) soundcards in my Compaq Evo machine under XP. The joystick port works OK, but I can get no sound.

Under 'Devices' all drivers seem to work OK, and there are no obvious conflicts. I have disabled the on-board soundcard, and the Setup BIOS seems to recognise the new card.

Changing the IRQ through 5, 10,11 makes no difference. I get an error from Windows Player when trying to play a music CD:"0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file".

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Properties reports "No audio device"

Following a web search, I removed the line "ExcludeFromSelect=*" from machine.inf - but no difference.

My children refuse to come home, wife won't sleep with me, and the dog is cowering in the corner. The solution could change my life...

Please can anyone help? Two respected experts have investigated and been baffled.

Many thanks

Philip

jimv7 08:27 24 May 04

2 answers, sound is faulty or you have not installed the correct drivers.

hugh-265156 08:28 24 May 04

what make of soundcard?

did you disable any onboard sound via device manager(select it/properties/do not use this device(disable)then restart and enter the bios and disable it here before installing the new soundcard?

if you have done the above,have you installed the drivers for it?

also check:

click start/run type dxdiag and click ok then click the general tab and look at what version of direct x you have.

next click the sound tab and run the tests.do you hear sounds and any errors listed?

Stuartli 10:22 24 May 04

Why two sound cards? They seem to be in conflict with each other.

DocP 11:16 24 May 04

Sorry if I mislead anyone - I meant I'd installed two different cards at different times - not together!

Both cards have been tested under Win98Se, and work

Devices Manager reports "working properly, but have not been started"...

Card1 = Trust 514Dx 5.1 (Soundblaster conmpatible)
Card2 = Muse LT 4.0

Dxdiag reports: version 9.0
"no soundcard found" - (not what Windows tells me...)

All audio options in Control Panel are greyed out

Thanks for your interest

Philip

DocP 11:18 24 May 04

Sorry - my post ommitted:

Card 2 = Muse Lt 4.0

Philip

Mikè 11:39 24 May 04

click here for drivers.

Stuartli 14:13 24 May 04

Re Sounds and Audio Devices from CP - is nothing listed under the Hardware tab?

hugh-265156 14:47 24 May 04
  Epocs 15:15 24 May 04

Have you tried diagnostic software like AIDA, tihs should give you some more details, such as devices windows is aware of and which the system is aware of. Sometimes gives you troublshooting advice as well.

DocP 16:27 24 May 04

StuartLi

All options (volume, Audio, Voice) are greyed out, telling me "no audio device"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…