Soundcards

vliety 23:23 14 Jun 04

I have offered my resources to a friend for installing a 5.1 soundcard and I'm interested to know if I am to install the new soundcard do I have to disable the old standard card first ?.

dazzling 23:56 14 Jun 04

is it on the motherboard or in a pci slot for both you should remove the drivers if it onboard you will have to disable it in the bios if its in the pci slot just change it over.darren

SANTOS7 00:01 15 Jun 04

to avoid any conflict i would remove or dissable any existing sound card and remove any drivers related to it so in effect you have a clean install of a new component, then follow the install instructions for your new card

vliety 00:02 15 Jun 04

Darren Sorry to sound so vague but I had a quick look at the back of the Pc their was no soundcard fitted to the PCI slots so it must be on the MOBO so I presume the first step is to disable the soundcard in the BIOS so how do I do this cheers for replying

SANTOS7 00:08 15 Jun 04

Disabling on-board audio:

If you are planning on purchasing a new sound card and have on-board audio it is highly recommended that you disable the on-board audio before installing the new sound card. The following is the two methods that on-board is disabled.

The majority of all on-board sound cards can be enabled or disabled within CMOS. Additional information on how to get into CMOS can be found on our CMOS page.
If your computer does not have an option within CMOS to disable the on-board audio it is likely that either the motherboard has a jumper which can be set to disable the on-board audio or the on-board audio will disable automatically when the new sound card is installed into the computer. Please refer to the motherboard manual or contact your computer or motherboard manufacturer for additional information.

SANTOS7 00:10 15 Jun 04

click here sorry the link will give you the other info you need

vliety 00:15 15 Jun 04

Cheers I'll give this a go !

hugh-265156 00:16 15 Jun 04

normally its in the advanced set up menu somewhere.all bios menus will be slightly different in layout.

look for 'audio device' or similar and just set to disable.

ps.before doing disabling in the bios uninstall any drivers for the old onboard device if listed in add remove programs and look in control panel/device manager for the onboard audio and right click it/properties and choose 'do not use this device(disable)' first then shut down and install the new card.

start up and enter bios straight away and disable the old device.save and exit and let windows start up.install drivers for the new card.

this should cause you less problems this way.

vliety 00:28 15 Jun 04

Just had a look in my BIOS and CMOS and I couldn't see anything with audio device could this option be under something different ?

dazzling 00:37 15 Jun 04

on my friends its under features just look in all the lists in the cmos if its not there it maybe a jumper to reset.your best bet is to find make and model of the mothereboard and download the manual from there website.

vliety 00:45 15 Jun 04

Yep, Iv'e just found it on my PC it's in my BIOS settings I don't seem to be able to find what I was looking for in the CMOS settings only in the BIOS .....I'm learning though ! cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…