soundcard v on-board audio

maxirv 17:19 05 Aug 05

I am having trouble with my VIA AC97 on-board audio driver, and seem unable to rectify it. I am thinking of just buying a soundcard (seems quicker as I have already spent hours trying to sort out the current problem).

Firstly - am I being stupidly naive thinking this will by-pass the problem, & secondly do I need to worry about price, specs etc (I only really use this PC for household stuff, shopping, & downloading music which i then move to MP3 player). The quality of sound at this place is not an issue. Any advice would be appreciated.

GaT7 17:43 05 Aug 05

I had similar problems with onboard sound with my Gigabyte motherboard. After hours trying to sort it out I just bought a secondhand soundcard off Ebay. Now I have SOUND, so well chuffed. It was an OEM Creative SB Audigy 2 for which I paid just over £16 (incl. P+P), but you can get much cheaper decent ones. G

GaT7 17:47 05 Aug 05

Soundcards at Pricerunner, sorted by ascending prices: click here=

Soundcards (internal) at Ebay, sorted by Time ending soonest: click here

Hope this helps. G

GaT7 17:50 05 Aug 05

Forgot to mention the soundcard I bought didn't come with drivers, but I got great help click here. G

ACOLYTE 17:52 05 Aug 05

I have to say that my sound is onboard Nvidea 6.1 and its sounds great to me,comming from a stereo setup to this,so my vote goes to onboard
but 6.1 sound cards would probably be the same i have no idea,what i like mose is the fact i can listen to music and still here background noise if,say i am on msn and somone sends me a message.

Completealias 18:10 05 Aug 05

Yes a dedicated sound card will get round your problems for you remember to disable the onboard sound when you install your new sound card here a soundblaster live 7.1 card from ebuyer for just under £17 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…