Soundcard Related Desperate Plea for Help!

Big Trev 20:41 20 Aug 04

I recently installed XP SP2 on my PC and it jiggered a few things up, including my soundcard. I hae uninstalled SP2 and still the soundcard will not work. I have tried three sound cards and none will work so it isn't a broken hardware problem.

The drivers for the soundcards install no problem and everything looks fine in the Device Manager, but when I go to Sound and Audio devices in the Control panel it says there is no audio device.

Why isn't the computer seeing these sound cards?

If I go into the properties of the card it says the driver is enabled but has not been started yet. Does that give anyone a clue as to what is wrong?

I had a similar problem with my printer and a corrupt Autoexec.nt file turned out to be the problem. Is something corrupt in the OS>

Please help!!

THE TERMINATOR 20:44 20 Aug 04

Have you tried a system restore....TT

Big Trev 21:36 20 Aug 04

I went to do a system restore but discovered that system restore was turned off on all drives. Annoying eh?

Does nobody have a clue what is causing this?

thedarkside 23:51 20 Aug 04

It may seem like a total to-brainer, but have checked your mixer settings to make sure that nothing has been muted or turned off?

smokingbeagle 00:10 21 Aug 04

Have you disabled on-board sound in setup (BIOS)?
You have to use one of the "F" keys when your PC boots to get into BIOS.

Big Trev 00:56 21 Aug 04

I have looked through the BIOS and can find no reference to on-board sound. Under which menu is it likely to be?

There are no mixer settings because the computer won't recognise it has an audio device installed.

Big Trev 15:03 21 Aug 04

Thought I'd move this one up the list in case there's another genius logged in who can help.

Still living in silence!

stalion 15:49 21 Aug 04

found this on a search might help covers your souncard if you scroll down the page, also has bios drivers. click here

iambeavis 15:49 21 Aug 04

Has Windows audio properties been set to automatic in services?

Big Trev 16:07 21 Aug 04

Yes it is set to Auto.

hugh-265156 16:13 21 Aug 04

try clicking 'start/run' and type 'dxdiag' and click ok. now click 'more help/troubleshooting' and click 'Something is wrong with the sound on my computer' and follow all the advice here. may help a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5