SoundBlaster Audigy 2 drivers

GaT7 21:25 03 Aug 05

Hi All,

Today, I took delivery of a secondhand OEM Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 soundcard - Model: SB0240.

No driver CD, but I did my research before buying & all is available on the Creative website.

Or is it?! This is the list of drivers & sw for the above card click here.

I thought the basic drivers need to go on first, so I chose "3. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 and Audigy2 ZS Driver Update 1.84.55 (16.34 MB)", as they were the latest. However, on attempting to install it says I need the Audigy drivers to be installed first - so this is an UPDATE only.

Every one in the list appear to be updates except for 4. which is a Beta release. The PDF manual says I shouldn't let Windows (using XP Pro) install anything but instead install the drivers from the disc, which I haven't got. Have I missed something obvious. What should I do? Ta, G

Completealias 21:55 03 Aug 05

Try this one here click here

GaT7 22:33 03 Aug 05

Thanks Completealias. I'm a member of the driverguide site & thought about looking there, but wanted 'official' drivers as far as possible.

May give those a go as a last resort, even though the Uploader's Notes say it's for the Audigy 2 Platinum. Having said that, Creative's drivers cover a few Audigy models as well. Will let you know if I make any progress. G

Sans le Sou 22:33 03 Aug 05

Have you tried the creative autoupdate, this scans your system and gives a list of stuff to download. I have used the US site for this as the audigy 2ZS platinum is not supported in UK. Do not know if it works with nothing installed first though, could try Completealias stuff then use the autoupdater.

GaT7 22:39 03 Aug 05

Sans le Sou, yes saw that mentioned on the Creative site but thought - as you did - I needed something (drivers/sw) to installed first. Will give it a go. Thanks, G

GaT7 23:52 03 Aug 05

The Autoupdate worked from scratch! It recognised the card correctly & suggested items 7 & 8 of my link above. Fortunately, the drivers worked as well, so I now have sound, but...

There's another problem, but this relates to the hardware of the card. Cannot get the other TWO analogue Line Outs to work. I'm using Creative 2.1 analogue speakers, so not an issue (for now, may be forever). Anyway, is this normal, would you know?

Sans le Sou, thanks very much for the kind offer of sending me the drivers on CD - much appreciated : )) G

Mr Beeline 00:13 04 Aug 05

Question... Not being rude .... but what do you mean by "Cannot get the other TWO analogue Line Outs to work"? How do you know this, if you only have 2.1 speaker configuration?

I'm assuming you mean the "centre" and "rear" outputs.

Not trying to teach Granny to suck eggs... but you will need to set the Creative control panel(or what ever the control applet is called) to the 5.1 setting and make sure that Windows is synched with this.

Hope this is of some use.

GaT7 00:51 04 Aug 05

"I'm assuming you mean the "centre" and "rear" outputs" - yes, in a nutshell, that's it (the Getting Started manual doesn't put it quite so simply - wish it did).

"...but you will need to set the Creative control panel (or what ever the control applet is called) to the 5.1 setting and make sure that Windows is synched with this" - I see, will do what I can & get back.

I asked the question to confirm whether or not I purchased a partially working card. Well now you people know how far my ignorance extexds with these things! Thanks Mr Beeline, G

Sans le Sou 21:10 04 Aug 05

Not easy without any documentation.

GaT7 21:47 04 Aug 05

Thanks for the support, Sans le Sou, but that's not entirely true. I downloaded the pdf manuals - Getting Started & Users Guide. Admittedly paper manuals are a lot easier on the eyes (especially tired ones). But the easiest of the lot has to be a ready answer on a knowlegdeable forum - like this one for instance.

As I don't have any applications - it's a bit confusing on the Creative site - I'm going to have to take you up on your kind offer of a copy of the sw on disc. I just sent you a message with nothing in it! Just give me a minute & I'll send you another which makes sense. G

Sans le Sou 21:42 05 Aug 05

Drivers in the post(Audigy 2ZS drivers and applications), these are for the platinum, I think the only difference is the remote control software is included for the platinum box. When you upgrade the drivers please check that the updated ones are signed with the green tick, I have always had to install them twice to get the green ticks. Hope you enjoy Mediasource as the "What you hear" setting lets you extract audio from DVDs etc and save as MP3 or wav etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…