Sound wont work

Kathryno 15:53 14 Nov 03

hi, im using windows 98 and i cant get any of the sounds to work. We recently had to reinstall windows and now whenever we go into media player or anything, the sounds dont work.
When i go into controlpanel>multimedia> the audio option are greyed out.In devices the audio device is:
Audio for Intel(r) AC'97 Audio Controller -
SigmaTel Codec
And its working correctly according to the pc.
What do i need to do?
Kathryn

pj123 16:10 14 Nov 03

AC97 suggests to me that it is onboard sound. You would need to put your Motherboard disk in and reinstall the sound drivers.

Kathryno 16:22 14 Nov 03

I dont have the win98 disk though.....can i download a driver or something?

Totally-braindead 16:29 14 Nov 03

The AC97 is onboard sound and no you don't need your Windows disk. If you go to the motherboard manufacurers page, in your caseIntel I believe you will be able to download it there. But as pj123 has said you should have a disk supplied with your computer for the motherboard and the sound drivers will be on that.

Kathryno 16:36 14 Nov 03

is it a basic sound driver or do i need a specific one?

Totally-braindead 16:41 14 Nov 03

You need the particular one for the sound card you have. Do you have the driver disk which you should have got with your motherboard?

Kathryno 16:45 14 Nov 03

no, we've got the 'packard bell recovery disks' and thats it.

Totally-braindead 16:51 14 Nov 03

Have a look on the recovery disks then, there will probably be Audio drivers somewhere on the disk. If they're not there then have a look on the Packard Bell website I would imagine you can download them there.

Totally-braindead 16:56 14 Nov 03

Just had a look at the Packard Bell website and the drivers are all there listed under support, all you have to do is identify which Packard Bell computer you have and download the relevant driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017