Sound will not work

Dick9 07:53 29 Jan 04

My sound was not working for one week.
Then I opened an email (just to read it) and (like magic) my sound returned completely, but only for one day.

My speakers are ok. I can play MPEG files loud and clear.

--------

Yesterday I tried deleting all files under "multimedia" and shut down the computer for the night.

Today I re-installed 10 of 11 of those files (exception = not the ones for playing cd-roms). Actually the files were from my hard disk. They said 2 of my files would be replacing a newer update with an older file---so I kept the newer ones, which were :
swdir.dll
swflash.dcx

All this did not help at all.

--------

If I right click on a wav file, and then click play, a little sub-window appears and LOOKS like it is playing the file.

Lozzy 08:49 29 Jan 04

What make and type is your sound card??

My suggestion would be to Download update drivers and software for your sound card from the mfg's web site then delete your sound card from with in Device manager then re boot. Upon re boot when it finds your sound card you will get an option to navigate to where you saved the download and load these as apposed to letting windows install what it wants.

Dick9 04:13 01 Feb 04

It started working again.
a bolt out of the blue.
like magic.

If it happens again, try removing and reinstalling your pci sound card.

Stuartli 08:33 01 Feb 04

It seems that you may inadvertently be temporarily muting a sound output, perhaps in your mixer or volume control, Windows Media Player or similar sound source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…