Sound volume - integrated card

Brian-336451 14:12 22 Feb 04

Another little conundrum and once more the answer is probably so simple - but when you KNOW.

On my laptop I've been into Control Panel, sounds, etc and turned the speaker volume up to the max.

I've turned up the default values to max whenever I've seen a control that would do it.

My problem is that despite this the volume is still very low.

Any ideas? I've turned off SPDIF, but don't know what that actually means anyway.

hugh-265156 14:16 22 Feb 04

spdif = sony philips digital interface.(coax)

what soundcard or onboard chip is it?

how are you connected up? do you use powered speakers or an amp? is this a surround sound amp or speakers?

what type of audio lead/s are you using and have you checked they are in the correct jacks?

Akm O Lee 14:20 22 Feb 04

Then firstly check that you have the volume tab on whatever multimedia program you are using is up to your max comfort level.

Also find out if your laptop has got a volume control knob, button or hot keys. You should find it by looking around the sides and front. If there is no button or knob. Then look on the keyboard usually Fn + F5 increases vol, and Fn + F6 decreases it

If these doesn't make any appreciable difference then the problem is your mono/stereo speakers on the laptop. Try using powered external speakers.

Or you can get an external sound card...creative extigy or mp3 blaster. although I am not completely satisfied with exitgy (it might have something to do with the fact that it uses USB 1.1).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…