Sound upgrade for Dell 1550

Muergo 12:23 10 Aug 10

I can't extract much information out of Dell or on Google for the sound system in my Dell Dimension 4550, I have upgraded most everything on it except the sound, which is described by Belarc as "SoundMAX Integrated digital Audio, and Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device.

What can I do to get better sound, I want to use Dragon naturally speaking which says it needs 16bit soundcard. but at the same time improve sound for broadcast programmes and downloads from Spotify.

northumbria61 13:32 10 Aug 10

To enable some one to help you can you confirm which Dell model - your heading says Dell 1550 but your post refers to Dell Dimension 4550. I take it you have onboard sound and want to fit a 16 bit Sound Card ?

Muergo 14:07 10 Aug 10

Sorry, didn't check message before sending, it's a Dimension 4550 for sure.

Yes, I have not upgraded from the factory sound installed system.

I don't mind how many bits, minimum 16 but if it will take a higher capacity then I will go for the maximum.
Not used for gaming, only for radio and TV streaming/recording, I have all the software.

northumbria61 14:55 10 Aug 10

It's a "jungle" out there - it all depends on your budget. You could start by having a look at the Creative Technology "Soundblaster" range to give you an idea - click here

OR may I suggest you have a look here - click here

and READ THE REVIEWS to help you.

Muergo 16:27 10 Aug 10

Well, that's given me a lot to digest in the two links, will wait until the quiet evening to plough through them.

A cursory glance on system requirements does not say anything about power consumption or is it milliwatts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac