Sound upgrade for Dell 1550

Muergo 12:23 10 Aug 10

I can't extract much information out of Dell or on Google for the sound system in my Dell Dimension 4550, I have upgraded most everything on it except the sound, which is described by Belarc as "SoundMAX Integrated digital Audio, and Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device.

What can I do to get better sound, I want to use Dragon naturally speaking which says it needs 16bit soundcard. but at the same time improve sound for broadcast programmes and downloads from Spotify.

northumbria61 13:32 10 Aug 10

To enable some one to help you can you confirm which Dell model - your heading says Dell 1550 but your post refers to Dell Dimension 4550. I take it you have onboard sound and want to fit a 16 bit Sound Card ?

Muergo 14:07 10 Aug 10

Sorry, didn't check message before sending, it's a Dimension 4550 for sure.

Yes, I have not upgraded from the factory sound installed system.

I don't mind how many bits, minimum 16 but if it will take a higher capacity then I will go for the maximum.
Not used for gaming, only for radio and TV streaming/recording, I have all the software.

northumbria61 14:55 10 Aug 10

It's a "jungle" out there - it all depends on your budget. You could start by having a look at the Creative Technology "Soundblaster" range to give you an idea - click here

OR may I suggest you have a look here - click here

and READ THE REVIEWS to help you.

Muergo 16:27 10 Aug 10

Well, that's given me a lot to digest in the two links, will wait until the quiet evening to plough through them.

A cursory glance on system requirements does not say anything about power consumption or is it milliwatts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…