Sound is there - but silent!

Diemmess 19:13 11 May 07

New all singing all dancing.. box

Its Foxconn board has onboard Real-tech sound but PCExpress video which has its own install CD.
Using multi booting drives (HyperOs).

Virgin SATA drive, so used the mobo CD to be able to install windows on the drive.
Set up first drive with XP pro.

Copied to next drive and spent all day installing a huge list of Apps. I get tired of the sounds in the background (with many reboots)and didn't try the speakers until the installation was almost complete. No sound

BIG mistake was not to have installed the sound drivers first of all!

Helpphone with the vendor said "Sorry but you will have to start again". Whether he is right or wrong I struggled with the original simple installation and at last got it going.

The list of errors and strange messages would fill this page, but at last I have three systems which appear to have everything in place.
WMP works on screen except that it only makes the speakers work in the simpler installations, and the error messages have gone.

I can build the simple drives up, but does anyone have an idea what is still wrong on the fancy drive, and save me spending more hours installing all the apps and tweaks again?

skidzy 20:28 11 May 07

A guess Diemmess Broken or missing audio codecs,sorry this being the obvious first port of call,but have you tried the codec pack click here

Diemmess 20:42 11 May 07

Thanks skidsy.
After all day at this I'm currently just coasting, leaving the thread open and doing other things I should have done during the day!

At earlier attmpts the software insisted "Microsoft bus" must be installed first.

RobbyMac 21:23 11 May 07

Hi,
hope I do not offend but the Foxconn boards have an option to turn onboard sound off in the bios, just a thought!
On mine the instructions state that direct x 9 be installed before sound driver, just another idea.
With some previous on board sound modules I had to run a remove utility provided by the mobo board maker before you could install correct drivers (just checked and there is an uninstall with my Foxconn board). I hope this helps.
I would put money on you getting it up and running without having to start from scratch probably using the last suggestion.
Good luck

Diemmess 20:04 12 May 07

I really had hopes after reading your post.
Today after another 3 hrs fiddling, backing up, and restoring all over the place, meddling even with the registry but getting nowhere.

I've spent a large part of today building a full system all over again from a bare installation which had working sound.

Gave up on the almost complete system.

Put it down to a senior moment, (having too many of late).

I should have followed the golden rule of installing the mobo drivers immediatly after Windows.

Feeble excuse that SATA didn't need driver installation so I forgot the rest.

woodchip 20:33 12 May 07

It would be faster to start from scratch, with a reload

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…