Sound suggestions plz??

Bazz2000 11:25 26 Apr 04

Hi ppl. At the moment I have all my pc sounds running through my stereo.Single jack to two phono, going from the speaker socket on my sound card to my stereo line in (left and right). This works fine at the moment, but Im getting a decent amp soon and wondered if there was a better way to connect the pc to the amp than the way Im doing it? This amp has got basically everything! More than ill ever need. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

stlucia 12:49 26 Apr 04

Strictly speaking, the correct output from your PC to your amp should be a line-out socket, which will bypass most of the processing that the sound card does (volume control, balance, tone, etc.) and leave it all for your amp to deal with.

I appreciate your sound card maybe doesn't have that, in which case the connection you're making is the best you can do.

Simsy 12:57 26 Apr 04

stlucia is correct...

IF you have a "line out" socket on your soundcard then use that.... if you don't, what you're doing is correct....

(I'm assuming that we're talking Stereo here, as oppossed to surround sound?)

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 13:23 26 Apr 04

The above advice is correct, but it would have to be a very good sound card indeed to rival a high quality hi-fi equivalent.

Remember the Linn slogan: "Rubbish in, rubbish out."

That's not to denigrate your sound card in any way, just to try and indicate the differences in input quality to your amplifier.

So it would appear best, as suggested, to retain your present method of connecting the card to a new amplifier.

paxo2 13:45 26 Apr 04

Does your soundcard have any digital outputs (s/pdif) and does the new amp have digital in? This would probably be the best setup, but as the advice on here already states, what you are doing is perfectly acceptable. It's all really a matter of personal taste and what your eqipment will allow.

stlucia 13:53 26 Apr 04

Stuartli is correct about "it would have to be a very good sound card indeed to rival a high quality hi-fi equivalent". That's the main reason for using line-out (if you've got it) to bypass most of the sound card processing in favour of letting the amp do the job.

The conundrum is that, if your sound card has a line-out or digital out, it may be of a quality which rivals that of your hi-fi amp, in which case you might as well just plug the speakers straight in!

In the end, you're proposing nothing that will damage anything, so just go with what your ears tell you is best.

Bazz2000 11:00 27 Apr 04

thanks for your help ppl. To tell you the truth I thought that line out was where the speakers went.
My soundcard is soundblaster 5.1 digital. What I ideally want to do, is let the amp control all the sound qualities if you get my meaning. So my pc just passes the signal to my amp. I do have digital out on the card. Where will this go on the amp? The amp was quite expensive and it hasnt arrived yet so I cant tell exactly what ports ive got on it.
Your time is appreciated. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…