Sound suddenly changed to echo chamber

bograt1 09:47 28 Dec 07

Hi,
While listening to Windows media player I switched to a backgammon game (often done before)and the sound changed. Speech is now almost unintelligible and music sounds like an echo chamber. On trying to find the cause I found realtek hd audio (not sure it was there before) but otherwise everything seems OK.
I'm running 32 bit Vista home premium with both Windows media player and Realplayer. Any suggestions gratefully received.

VideoSentry 12:07 28 Dec 07

It is possible that you've changed the speaker set up .i.e. it now thinks that you have a 4-8 speaker surround sound system,but I am not sure how it works in Vista so cannot assist in the solution.

lil27 12:23 28 Dec 07

Bograt 1,

I did something similar a while ago. VideoSentry is correct in that you have changed your speaker set up. I resolved this in the 'windows media centre'. Not sure what I actually did as it was a while ago but it worked for me. I suggest you browse through the media centre to see if you can find anything on speaker set up. Not a solution for you but may lead you down the right path.

Taff™ 12:39 28 Dec 07

Look in the Realtek program. If I remember correctly you can create this (and other) effects from within that.

Kaacee 19:56 28 Dec 07

Taff is quite right, go into Realtek sound manager ( icon in bottom right screen on XP), top of box that appears to the right of Enviroment click on this and all the sound variations can be set from here.

Stuartli 23:50 28 Dec 07

It appears to be an assumption that Realtek is the default (onboard) sound source.

However, if it is, configure Sound Effect Manager to None from the Sound Effect tab.

bograt1 09:37 29 Dec 07

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I tried them all. But in the end it was configuring Sound Effect Manager to None in Realtek that did the trick.

johnnyrocker 11:37 29 Dec 07

thanks for the feedback all that is now needed is the green tick.

johnny,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…