Sound is stuttering (repeating) randomly

ezpic 11:23 09 Dec 04

Hi all

I need some advice please. I run a normally reliable (but old) P3 800 pc with 768meg ram on Windows XP and an old PCI64 Creative audio sound card. I play MP3's whilst working. Now for some reason the sound is breaking up at random (almost like a very quick stutter). This is also happening when i listen to the radio on the pc.

Could you advise me wher to look to resolve the problem (sound card, maybe hard drive!!!. All other applications seem fine.

Thanks very much

mattyc_92 11:30 09 Dec 04

This is because your computer is struggling to do the tasks all at once. When i say "struggling", I mean that the system is using up ALL or MOST of your RAM (doubt it is RAM) and/or your "CPU" resources (known as Processor speed)

Your system CAN open all the programs without "breaking a sweat" but media files need MORE RESOURCES...

Don't worry about this, most people have this problem sometime in the computer's life... Having said this, you can FORMAT your system and this should remove ALL the "hidden" background services that may be runing... or use the MSCONFIG run command and remove some of the services yourself (without formating the system)

ezpic 12:06 09 Dec 04

Hi mattyc_92

Appreciate your reply but I have only recently started getting this problem (say two weeks)and not put any new programs (processes) on my PC for some time. I could run quite intensive programms (say Photoshop)until recently without a problem. Now the audio files on their own are giving greif! That is what is confusing me. I agree there is enough ram and wondered if the processor was the problem?

Cheers

mattyc_92 20:46 09 Dec 04

It MAY be the processor, or it may just be because of your "System Cach" is getting very large, thus using more resources....

I suggest that you FORMAT the system to see if that solves the problem. HOWEVER, I would ONLY format the system as the last resort.... See if ANYONE else has ANY theories or programs that may help, for example... PC Booster 3 from click here

I have tried this program and it did speed up my system, but it damaged my internet conection and that is why I have only just relpied to you....

Soz about that

BBez 21:13 09 Dec 04

have you used any "auto install" features when on the Internet recently, updated any configuration files or codec settings...

clean all your temp files out first, (do a search for *.tmp" and delete all results...

How full is the hard disk, if it is near capacity, windows will stall a bit while swapping in and out different running apps from RAM...

try supercleaner click here and run through it, it's very stable and hasn't caused any errors on either of my 3 pc's running 98, 2000 and XP...

have you used any "auto install" features when on the Internet recently, updated any configuration files or codec settings...

clean all your temp files out first, (do a search for *.tmp and delete all results...

How full is the hard disk, if it is near capacity, windows will stall a bit while swapping in and out different running apps from RAM...

try supercleaner click here and run through it, it's very stable and hasn't caused any errors on either of my 3 pc's running 98, 2000 and XP...

clean all your temp files out first, (do a search for *.tmp and delete all results...

BBez 21:15 09 Dec 04

sorry for the multiple posts, this site runs very lumpy everytime i'm on it, pca will use coldfusion though...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…