Sound, speakers, modems, etc

waydekirrane 15:57 15 Dec 03

Got a computer at the weekend and need some help. i got the tower second hand off someone and bought a monitor, keyboard and a mouse separately. the person i got it off had just built a new machine and so had taken some of the parts. it looks like there is no modem - ie i'm a novice and as i can't find somewhere to put the phone cable into assume there is no modem! i would like to know how to know for sure if there is no modem - is there somewhere i can look to see what kind of hardware the computer has? if not what kind of modem would you recommend at a reasonable price and where should i go to get one? also there is no sound. there is definitely no speakers, but can't you get sound from some sort of speaker built into the tower? again, is there somewhere i can detect the computer's capabilities? if not can i just buy some speakers or do i need a soundcard as well. sorry for the mess. any help greatfully recieved

Diemmess 16:17 15 Dec 03

"If you can't see it, you probably haven't got it"

A modem is perhaps your next step, but first (particularly to help give sound advice) what can you say to describe your "box" better

Have a look in Windows System Information. It should be possible to see what Processor, RAM and operating system you have.

Trackrat 16:18 15 Dec 03

I do not know what your operating system is but you can get the information you want from system information.
Click START - highlight all programmes - highlight Accessories - highlight System tools - then left click System information then left click the + box at the left side of Components, then click on Sound device to show what sound device is on your computer, then click on Modem, if their is one fitted it will show up here.
The speaker built into the tower is mainly used by the BIOS,you need seperate speakers for your sound

critic-al 16:25 15 Dec 03

This will give you all the information about your pc,when you have installed,select report from tool bar.
click here

waydekirrane 08:47 16 Dec 03

I done as you said, but it makes little sense to me.....can anyone explain what these mean...
click here
click here
click here
click here
and thus answer my questions. I am using windows XP

waydekirrane 08:55 16 Dec 03

tried to upload pics to geocities and post them here. didn't work?

Stuartli 09:53 16 Dec 03

You can buy an internal modem for less than a tenner, but do a full check first as already suggested above, as you just might have an ASR version on the motherboard (it's similar to onboard sound).

Another way of finding out if you have a modem is to look in Device Manager or Control Panel...:-)

If one is, by any chance, listed in Device Manager then you can check it out by highlighting it and clicking Properties.

An internal modem card could have its own speaker or alterntively use the small one in your computer case - you can alter the sound level in the modem properties.

However, the case speaker's sound quality is only good enough for Windows' beeps etc in general use, so a soundcard would be an investment.

You can buy a PCI card version of the excellent Creative 8738 onboard chipset for around £4 to £6 - the sound quality is remarkable for such a cheap component.

waydekirrane 10:01 16 Dec 03

would i need speakers with that as well? are they hard to install for a layman?

waydekirrane 10:07 16 Dec 03

this might work. it should link to a page showing what i found on system information
click here

Diemmess 11:15 16 Dec 03

You do need a sound card and speakers if:-

You want to play music or have any background sound like Windows introduction and other actions.

You want to have sounds with any games.

You Do NOT need card or speakers if all you need to hear is the odd bleep when booting(case speaker), or the squealy noise when going on line(modem speaker).

The cheapest sound card and mid price speakers can give excellent sound, but some of the cheapest speakers can be awful and make you wish you hadn't bothered

Stuartli 11:24 16 Dec 03

Look for Creative or Logitech speakers (two small speakers plus a sub-woofer) from £20 to £40 - adequate for most purposes.

All that is required, after the soundcard has been installed along with the drivers, is to plug the speakers' jackplug into the back of the soundcard.

Staples sells such speaker systems and has the benefit (at least in my local branch) of having a comparator setup - you can listen to the various speakers in turn and choose the ones you like best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…