Sound Problems running older games with XP

patkinson 22:19 09 Sep 03

I have several games which worked with no problem under Windows 98 e.g. Half-Life: Blueshift; Journeyman Project: Legacy of Time, but now that I've upgraded the motherboard and processor and moved to Windows XP, the sound is terrible or really broken up.

Is there anything I can do to rectify this? I've tried the compatibility modes, but they don't work at all. The sound is done by the onboard VIA chip set.

Phil

Ping Pong 22:40 09 Sep 03

Try updating the sound card driver from the manufacturers website or use to windows updates to see if there is an updated driver. If that fails then it might be time to consider replacing your sound card. You can buy a good creative 5.1 sound card for about £30.
Just remember to disable the old onboard sound card in bios.

patkinson 22:51 09 Sep 03

Thanks

It seems that I have the latest audio drivers and the C-Media VIA audio chipset seems to work fine with all modern games i.e. those with XP on the box so I doubt if I should need a separate sound card, but who knows.

Any other ideas?

Ironman556 23:26 09 Sep 03

If you have surround sound enabled, does it make a difference if you swap to stereo and then run the older games?

patkinson 08:30 16 Jan 06

Found a program VDMSound at click here

"VDMSound is a modular, extendable soundcard (and other "legacy" hardware) emulator for MS Windows NT/2000 DOS boxes."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…