Sound problems lead to crashing PC

Nick Dalton 09:21 14 Jun 04

I have a Mesh PC with creative soundlabs sound & soundblaster card? I think. Yesterday during operation the speakers suddenly started to make a distorted sound like a bad connection or radio off channel & "normal" sound stopped working. Then on re-booting (after checking for loose wires etc) the PC was having trouble starting up repeatingly hanging during the process. Once I finally got it going I ran a virus check,ok & checked the soundcard on the control panel which also reported ok. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Gongoozler 09:44 14 Jun 04

Hi Nick Dalton. If your computer is hanging at startup, there is most likely a driver problem, and as you had previously had trouble with the sound, then that is probably the cause. With Windows XP, then a system restore to a time before the sound distortion started should cure it, otherwise uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card drivers might do the job.

Nick Dalton 09:47 14 Jun 04

Thanks for the advice ...I'm using Windows ME. How would I go about restoring ?

Nick Dalton 09:48 14 Jun 04

Thanks for the advice ...I'm using Windows ME. How would I go about restoring ?

Gongoozler 10:07 14 Jun 04

“Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore”, Select “Restore my computer to earlier time” and click next. From what I've read, Windows ME doesn't do the job as well as Windows XP, but it may be worth trying. I'm still using Windows 98se, so I don't have any personal experience of system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…