Sound problems

ooermrs 16:26 12 Jul 08

Hi everyone. I'm having a small problem with the computer sound. I've a Packard bell desk top running XP. The problem is, If i play any songs or DVDs I've downloaded or have stored on the hard drive the sound works just fine but if i play a DVD in the DVD drive I've no sound !! I use windows player 11 for both. Anyone got any ideas or tips ? Many thanks

Ex plorer 16:44 12 Jul 08

Check and see if the sound wire is loose on the DVD or moterboard.

Ex plorer 16:45 12 Jul 08

Should read motherboard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 12 Jul 08

device manager - right click the drive - properties - properties tab - tick the box "enable digital sound..."

ooermrs 16:57 12 Jul 08

Thanks for the replys. Fruit bat, the enable digital sound box is ticked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 12 Jul 08

check the data cable from drive to motherboard is fully connected at both ends.

ooermrs 17:47 12 Jul 08

Looked out the motherboard user manual, the motherboard is an ABIT IG-80. Looked up the page on internal audio connectors. Opened thee back of the computer and found there was nothing attached to the connector. There is 2 or 3 wires cables unattached inside the case, any idea which one to connect ?

ronalddonald 17:57 12 Jul 08

pdf file for the motherboard or the book should be able to tell you but dont forget to ground yourself and unplug every thing including electic cables and all cables and make sure that computer is cold.

Ex plorer 13:23 13 Jul 08

Hi the cables you mention do they have Red Black and Yellow on them if so they are extra power cables should you wish to connect other drives to your PC in the future.
The DVD drive will have one of these power cables connected and also the Flat IDE cable.
There should be one other some times colored grey that plugs into the DVD and then onto the Motherboard or sound card.

ooermrs 14:18 13 Jul 08

Thanks Ex plorer, I'll open up the tower later and get back to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5