Sound problems

charliep 19:42 23 Oct 06

My computer is a Packard Bell imedea 1559; O.S. Windows XP pro; sound card is realtek HD Audio.

CD plays OK; online music OK; tried tape connected to Pc - ok. Windows System sounds OK.

Yet some sound files are barely a whisper even with the volume full on - other sounds blast out on same setting. Done various diagnostics but can't seem to resolve the problem.

Any ideas?

charliep

GaT7 20:56 23 Oct 06

"some sound files are barely a whisper" - Are these downloaded sound files & what file format are they? G

charliep 08:35 24 Oct 06

Not sure the format, but think they are wav files. Seem to be more the spoken word rather than music, not really into music. One program is a learn a language program and i think the files are .ogg, never heard of that one. The other is a library with a pronunciation feature which i think is wav. However, this program is also on my laptop which sounds fine. This made me wonder if there is an adjustment to be made on the PB or Realtek to accommodate the spoken word independantly of music and other sounds.

Charliep

eedcam 08:59 24 Oct 06

ogg. are ogg'vorbis files better than mp3 but a quick look suggests not best for speech have a look at click here

charliep 12:34 24 Oct 06

Thanks. Had a look and downloaded the codecs - no change.

Could it be that its the program rather than the sound files? I wondered if the program is playing through some other facility other than the Realtek sound card. I seem to remember years ago you could opt to play through the PC speaker rather than the sound card.

This will probably be shot down in flames,

Charliep

andrew-196854 12:42 24 Oct 06

have you downloaded the lastest drivers for your sound? only a idea

charliep 13:53 24 Oct 06

Yep

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now