Sound problem with XP PC

Hetti 13:29 PM 27 Jun 12

I tried setting up an old XP PC everything went fine router set up, internet connection great! but there is no sound at all on PC none on win media player or You tube the following is the message I get.

Win media player cannot play the file there is a problem with sound device, there may not be a sound device installed or it may in use by another device.

The sound would not have been used on the PC for quite a long time(I don't use sound) but my brother want to listen to music/radio etc.

Jollyjohn 13:57 PM 27 Jun 12

Next time you boot the PC go into set up and check sound is enabled.

If it is then look in Device Manger and see if there is a yellow exclamation mark on any item. If so you will need a driver for the sound device for it to work.

Details of the model of PC or Motherboard would help if you need more help.

Hetti 14:04 PM 27 Jun 12

Thanks jollyjohn As the PC is at brother house I will not be able to go there again until tomorrow, will post back then.

recap 14:06 PM 27 Jun 12

On the new install did you installed the drivers for the sound card?

Hetti 17:32 PM 28 Jun 12

Jolleyjohn Sound is enabled in setup, the only thing in device manager with exclamation mary was chipset update did that, I downloaded driver max and it said 3DP Edition V9.12 (sigmatel C.major audio)V5.10.9.12, needed update so I let it look for the update but it came back with only one result and it was exactly the same version as is already installed, I thought I would install it just to see if it helped but it didn't make any difference.

recap sorry if I wasn't clear in my post, the PC was already set up(had operating system in) i meant getting it up and running to give to my brother, sorry to mislead you.

Jollyjohn 11:20 AM 29 Jun 12

Sorry about the delay replying, I work a night shift.

The chipset that needs updating appears to be the on board sound. What is the make and model of the PC or the make and model of the mainboard.

A search for the correct driver should sort this out.

Do you have any discs that came with the PC or is there a recovery partition, these may contain the correct driver. If, in device manager, you uninstall the device, reboot, then windows should prompt you to install a driver.

birdface 11:48 AM 29 Jun 12

If you have not got SIW or anything like that downloaded download this and it will tell you everything that you have on your computer including sound.

Also check that you have the speakers plugged in and the sound turned on. make sure it has not been muted on the keyboard.

Try Services and scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to automatic and is turned on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…