Sound Problem - Windows ME

Alien463 12:32 13 Jul 03

Hello,

I hope someone can help me.

I have a Compaq Presario Internet PC model 5146EA running Windows ME.

Recently (a few days ago), I downloaded and installed a sound driver update from Windows Update but have noticed that sound no longer works on my computer.

None of my song files can be played with winamp, windows media player, realplayer or any other media software.

Also, I am no longer able to open up volume control.

When trying to run song fdiles from Windows Media Player, I get the following message:

0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device, such as a sound card or sound controller. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your sound device is in use by another program. Quit other programs that may be using your sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Your sound device is not functioning properly. To troubleshoot the problem, see the Sound Troubleshooter in Windows Help or refer to your sound device's documentation.
You do not have a sound device installed on your computer. Install a sound device, and then try to play the file again.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000

All other programs (except for the bare essentials) have been shut down using ctrl + alt + del with no avail.

I am assuming that the problem is to do with the driver update I recently installed, but do not know how I can rectify the error.

Note: System Restore is disabled on my computer as I run GoBack, but unfortunately I can not go back to before the time of the update as the GoBack revert process does not go that far back in time.

Thanks in advance for all help,

Alien463

Mango Grummit 12:43 13 Jul 03

Try this,

Reboot using the Windows ME startup disk, then select Minimal Boot. At the A:> prompt, type C: to go the C:\ prompt, then type:-

NOTE there is a gap between scanreg &/
scanreg /restore

and press Enter. Make sure you include the space between scanreg and the forward stroke. You'll then see five earlier Windows versions by date to restore from. Make your choice using the cursor keys (those marked Started are ready for use), press Enter and follow the on screen instructions to restore the registry to that version. Then restart to return to the desktop.

sil_ver 12:47 13 Jul 03

If you need to reinstall your audio driver this may help click here

jazzypop 12:47 13 Jul 03

click here for the Presario sound drivers. Download and run.

sil_ver 13:00 13 Jul 03

Snap! :-)

Alien463 13:03 13 Jul 03

Thanks for all your help and the prompt response.

I knew you wouldn't let me down :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…