Sound Problem - Volume control missing

terrym 13:36 15 Dec 10

My pc (OS XP) is not giving me any sounds, playing cd, DVD or video clips etc. trying to play iTunes message said Audio /video playback may not operate properly. Tried updating driver and it said could not find better match for hardware than software already installed. Sound & Audio Device properties list Sound Playback default as Modem #0 Line Playback. The default box is not ticked, tried it ticked and unticked but no different. Late last night I realised that my PC shows no Volume Control when I click All Programmes/Accessories/Entertainment. Can’t see how I could have deleted it if this is the issue. Do I install the installation disk and use Add/Remove software to get it back or are there other issues like need a new audio card etc?

birdface 14:11 15 Dec 10

Try and roll back the driver Microsoft has a bad habit of updating the wrong driver.
Check device manager to see if any problems with the audio driver.
Try administrative tools in control panel.sevices,and scroll down to windows audio and make sure it is set to automatic.

Diemmess 14:20 15 Dec 10

Forgive me stating the obvious, unlikely but in case you have a wrong choice at the point of - Sounds and Audio properties - Sound playback tab - where you see Modem #0 at the Default Device, there should be an arrow offerring a choice (in my case on board sound Realtec etc.)

If that is the error, then check the box at the bottom "Use only default devices" as well, and OK?

terrym 23:00 15 Dec 10

Thanks guys, When I rechecked Device Manager the Sound, video and games controller is a SoundMAX Intergrated Digital HD Audio and set as default. I got some sound back, plays music, tried it on a game Battlefield2 and got sound on intro but not on the game itself when played. I got sound on MS tada sound stuff which was useful for checking speakers working etc. Another issue I have is that I dont appear to have an XP installation disk as I upgraded from a previous Win version to XP via a web download. Is it possible then to get my missing Volume Control using Contol Panel Add/Remove option, and would this help in solving problem?

Diemmess 15:51 16 Dec 10

I wouldn't use add and remove at this stage, you may make things worse.

Try Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices
The Volume Tab, plus the tick box for Taskbar and the advanced button to see that the mixer is set high if necessay at your choice.

If that doesn't succeed and you want to try downloading up to date driver for it click here

Be a shade careful here, the very latest drivers have poor reviews. Since your system is no longer new, and you run XP it may be worth trying an older driver which matches your card, rather than one which is brand new and may have bugs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…