Sound problem - sound jerks during game videos

The Belarussian Mafia 18:31 30 Mar 07

My lad's computer has onboard sound that can't produce decent effects in a game he's installed (Tunguska, which simply requires a directX compatible soundcard). Or so I thought.

Installed an old Soundblaster, which didn't do the trick. Installed the Audigy 2 ZS from our main PC, but still no good! The sound on the videos still jerks (which, as you'd expect doesn't happen with the Audigy on the main PC). My lad's PC easily meets all the game specs.

His PC is as follows:

Athlon 1900+ running XP
384MB RAM
40GB HDD
NVidia FX5600

NB: DirectX 9.0c

Am I missing something here?

ICF 19:07 30 Mar 07

Might be daft questions but have you installed the drivers for the creative sound cards?
If not use Auto update it tells you what needs installing click here

Sometimes there is a selection:- hardware acceleration for sound in the game?

ICF 19:19 30 Mar 07

Also there is an update have you installed it
click here

The Belarussian Mafia 19:39 30 Mar 07

Thanks very much ICF.

Drivers all present and correct. Game doesn't have sound options, but a worthwhile suggestion.

Since writing this post I also came across the update, but I'm a bit reluctant to install, as apparently it changes the ending & I saw a comment about the new ending being worse than the original!

May be we'll just have to do this, though.

ICF 19:46 30 Mar 07

Just noticed your ram 384MB surely that can't be right can it?

ICF 19:50 30 Mar 07

Just realised 256 + 128 stick make 384 LOL

ICF 19:51 30 Mar 07

Video drivers up to date ?
click here

The Belarussian Mafia 20:06 30 Mar 07

It's not the game. Just tried another game, and the same jerky music plays during the videos.

The Belarussian Mafia 20:34 30 Mar 07

Interesting idea - maybe the videos themselves are just jerking. Downloading latest video drivers now.

The Belarussian Mafia 22:16 30 Mar 07

Updated drivers didn't work, but it was worth the effort as the previous ones were from '04.

It looks like ICF was on the right track, however. I changed the game settings from 'Video quality: High' to 'Low', which almost fixed the problem. Just the occasional glitch during game videos now. I now think perhaps 3 possibilities:

1) Insufficient RAM

2) Processor on the slow side

3) Have DirectX 9.c, but some of the files are actually several years old (as revealed by dxdiag). Maybe updating would make a difference?

ICF 06:42 31 Mar 07

Dx 9.0c & updates

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now