Sound Problem with my Laptop

Ethan1982 14:18 28 Apr 09

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with the sound in my laptop. Few moths back i turned the laptop on and found that the sound won't come. I tried looking at the system tray to see if I have turned mute on and there was no speaker icon. Thus I turned the laptop off and on again and the thing start talking.

Since that day the problem started and I had to boot it again manytimes before the sound comes and one day it stopped for good (his obviously!!!)

I tried loading the sound driver again and reloaded my OS (windows XP) again to see if theres any software bug but that didn't help. My system says won't allow me anything to set on the sound i.e. when I go to the system "Sound and Audio devices" via control pannel everything remains faded gray as if I don't have any soundcard at all !!!

There is no problem with the laptop speakers as I tried the headphone jack too... no sound.

Although my laptop has done few years now, everything else works great which makes it hard for me to replace it.

Do I need to replace my soundcard? How will I know what soundcard to buy (if I have to) that can be compatible with my laptop?

Please help!!

Graphicool1 14:43 28 Apr 09

It sounds like what was an internal loose connection, (hence the intermitant sound) has now become totally disconnected.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 28 Apr 09

Check the BIOS settings your sound chip may be disabled in there.

birdface 18:01 28 Apr 09

If on XP try.Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services.Scroll down to Windows Audio and make sure it is set to automatic.

Ethan1982 10:37 29 Apr 09

Guys,

Thanks for the possible solutions... I checked the Admin tools>...>windows audio - automatic and also in the BIOS settings - says "no device".

I am not sure about the Hardware part.. can you tell me how can I spot the sound chip? I am sure it isn't loose connection as when it was intermitant it wasn't really intermittant.. when it comes, it stays till I shut the laptop down and when it won't I MUST have to restart it and try my luck (not anymore as it has stopped totaly!)..

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is when I go to the system "Sound and Audio devices" via control pannel, under the Audio tab it says "No Audio Device" and everything remains faded gray.

Thanks for help..

birdface 11:21 29 Apr 09

Have you tried device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any of your drivers.[Right click my computer.properties.Hardware.device manager.Maybe download SIW it will tell you everything that you have on your computer.It is under PCI on mine.

birdface 11:23 29 Apr 09

You could try this free driver program.See if it finds any problems with your drivers,

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now