Sound problem - how do I remove codecs?

thewasp 19:18 10 Jan 08

My PC keeps popping and crackling at random on audio playback.

I have run a codec check (Sherlock) which reveals some codecs with no driver files which may not have been uninstalled properly (Intervideo).

1. Could this be causing the pops and crackles?
2. How do I remove the offending codecs?

The sound card and speakers are fine, I am running 2 xp operating systems and on one it is fine with no noises.

skidzy 19:30 10 Jan 08

Just install the k-lite codec pack click here this will replace any damaged or missing codecs.

Technotiger 19:33 10 Jan 08

You should find XP Codec Pack as probably the last entry in Control Pane>Add/Remove

Technotiger 19:34 10 Jan 08

But skidzy's idea is better :-)

thewasp 19:52 10 Jan 08

Thanks for the excellent info but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

Any other ideas what could be wrong?

Technotiger 19:56 10 Jan 08

Are these two complete separate PC's? If so, check all the physical audio leads/plugs/connections on the crackly one.

thewasp 19:59 10 Jan 08

No, same pc, have got xp on 2 different drives, so same hardware and speakers etc.

Technotiger 20:00 10 Jan 08

Or - un-install the codec pack from Control Panel>Add/Remove and then re-download (don't use any codec pack you have already downloaded) and then re-install the complete XP Codec Pack. click here

thewasp 20:05 10 Jan 08

How do I remove all the old codecs?

Technotiger 20:12 10 Jan 08

As I said un-install via Control Panel>Add/Remove. Your codecs should be listed, probably last item on the list.

Technotiger 20:13 10 Jan 08

Also, you could simply highlight and then Delete, any old codec pack downloads, from your completed downloads folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…