Sound Problem

realist 15:44 16 Dec 06

We have an annoying situation with our nearly new Evesham pc where the system sound is completely muted every so often (at seemingly random intervals) on start-up. We have to do a System Restore to get it back.

There is nothing showing up as the cause of the problem when looking under Device Manager or audio troubleshooting.

Under Device Manager there are the following entries:

Sound video and game controllers

Audio codecs
Creative SB X-FI
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Devices
Video Codecs

Creative is the default audio device and use only default device is ticked.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

polish 15:48 16 Dec 06

not quite the same my soundblaster card would go from 5.1 to 2.1 on the speaker settings downloaded the latest driver and has been ok since

realist 16:02 16 Dec 06

I tried to auto-update the drivers at the Creative site but I got the error message "some components may be corrupted"???? and it was unable to scan for installed hardware.

FatboySlim71 16:16 16 Dec 06

Sounds like it could be a corruption in the soundcard files/drivers. Have you tried to reinstall the drivers for them off the disk that you should have got with your PC. I have an Evesham PC and I got a disk with it which is called SUPPORT DRIVER CD, put this disk in the drive and it should auto run, then click on "DRIVER CONTENTS" then "AUDIO DRIVERS", then select the appropriate one for your sound card and see if this solves your preoblem.

realist 16:58 16 Dec 06

Thanks FatboySlim71.
I have that disc yes, but also a Creative CD.
Maybe I'll ask Evesham what I need to do in the circs....

polish 21:25 16 Dec 06

you can also download the drivers manually from creative

realist 21:29 16 Dec 06

Thanks polish.
Tried that already but when I opened the exe. file it reported it could find "no matching hardware"!
I've now emailed Evesham about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009