sound problem

sil_ver 11:51 14 Dec 04

I suspect there is an easy answer to this but here goes.
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault on DVD (genuine copy)
When trying to install this game the background music is distorted. I suspect this is because the transfer of info to the HDD is interfering with it also I think the loading process is being slowed down because I loaded this game before I had to do a reformat and install with no problems. If I abort the install the sound is ok. I'm running W2K sp4. Hardware includes Athlon XP2600 cpu and 512 DDR400 (2x256Mb) I can't seem to find where I can check the DMA settings. Maybe they are automatically set at install of W2K. Any help appreciated.

MichelleC 14:35 14 Dec 04

Go to Device Manager, and double-click on IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers, and right-click on each drive, /properties/advanced settings, and choose DMA if available. If these are already enabled it's worth running through the DirectX tests, or reinstall soundcard driver.

sil_ver 20:21 14 Dec 04

MichelleC: Thanks for your input. One of my HDDs needed DMA setting. but I also updated my graphics and sound card drivers and the problem seems to be solved. All I need now is to get rid of a pesky trojan (firstreboot.exe) but can't find a freebie to do it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 14 Dec 04

Name HGTXPEI
Command FirstReboot.exe

Description Herucles Audio tool for the Hercules Game Theater XP soundcard. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

sil_ver 22:44 14 Dec 04

Hi Fruit Bat: virus checker flags it up as win32 trojan-gen and is found in C:winnt/system32/firstreboot.exe. I do have a Hercules fortissimo sound card as it happens so find it all a bit confusing. Anyway, the last time it appeared I quaranteed it and will leave it there 'til I know what to do with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…