Sound not working on my computer!

DIYgirl 19:41 22 Jul 06

There's no sound coming from my computer....

I think this started when I updated Windows at MS's site, and probably when Media Player 10 was installed recently, but I can't be sure (sorry to be so wimpy). I've looked in Device Manager and it says that my soundcard etc is all working OK: I can hear the system's speakers hissing if I turn the volume up high, and when I switch on there's a little blip noise that they make as the power reaches them. But when I try to play a CD, nothing; and there are none of the normal Windows sounds either.

What have I done? What can I do? I don't know!

Jackcoms 19:46 22 Jul 06

Open Volume Control (right click on the loudspeaker symbol in the task bar) and check that all of the 'mute' boxes are un-ticked.

DIYgirl 19:55 22 Jul 06

OK, tried that: the one for "line-in" was ticked, but I've unticked it and still there's no sound. What next? Any ideas?

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:04 22 Jul 06

You may need to reinstall the sound device drivers

Jackcoms 20:04 22 Jul 06

Apart from Line In, which devices are shown under Play Control?

Diversion 20:09 22 Jul 06

Have you check that the speakers are pushed right into the green speaker socket, that's happened with me before if the grandchildren move the speakers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 22 Jul 06

Sound setup
click here

Totally-braindead 21:46 22 Jul 06

Check and double check connections. Make sure the speakers are switched on and powered up before you do anything else.

DIYgirl 09:12 23 Jul 06

HVR: I've looked under Device Manager, and according to that my sound cards are working fine.

Diversion and Totally-braindead: there's definitely power to the speakers, and they're connected properly, as there's an electronic hiss coming from them all the time and they make a noise when I power up the computer. I had checked connections before I posted.

Jackcoms: I have listed the following items: Playback, Wave, CD player, MIDI and Line-in.

Fruit Bat, I'll have a look at that and get back to you.

I do think that this was triggered by installing MP10. It definitely started after updating my computer.

961 09:25 23 Jul 06

Try system restore back to before MP10 install

If that cures the problem the stay with MP8 for now

gazza38 09:28 23 Jul 06

When you updated your PC did it include a new driver for your soundcard ?
I was given a wrong driver this way before.
Try rolling back the driver for your sound card from within device manager.If no other driver is found uninstall and reinstall the diver you have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…