Sound and mouse problem

Skeletor 18:46 07 Apr 05

Hi all,

I have an intermittent problem which seems is becoming more regular.

For no apparent reason my mouse will become jerky, stopping briefly every second or so. The only way to fix it is to reboot. I also notice that when I shutdown Win XP to remedy the jerking mouse, the Windows shutdown jingle is also stopping briefly, again every second or so. The last time my mouse started to jerk I inserted an audio CD into the drive just to check and once again the music cuts out briefly every second. As I said it only happens occasionaly, but now it's really starting to irritate.

Help would be much appreciated.

Steve

wobblymike 19:17 07 Apr 05

This is pretty difficult to diagnose from the description you give so far - my initial thouht was that your processor is getting very busy and finding it difficult to multi task - causes for this are potentially numerous. A starter would be a quick break down of your set up - processor speed and amount of RAM in particular.

jbp1982 19:31 07 Apr 05

Could you give more info...

You say it only happens now and again, would there be certain programs running at the point where it happens?? Have you tried removing all unnecessary programs, to lighten the load on the cpu/ram?

And also give a wee bit more detail on your system.....programs that run/in background?? CPU?? RAM?? Motherboard?? and so on...

Technotiger 19:33 07 Apr 05

This is I believe a simple one if you have a normal mouse with a ball. Remove the ball and clean the rollers inside mouse. Replace ball and all should be ok again.

Cheers.

Skeletor 20:28 07 Apr 05

Thanks all,

Info copied/pasted from Belarc Advisor.

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) TriGem Computer NETHERLANDS Advent Series
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: TriGem Computer NETHERLANDS Advent Series
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/01/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
80.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
28.84 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A [CD-ROM drive]
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG SV8004H [Hard drive] (80.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 0357J1FT910920, rev QR100-12, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 41.89 GB 16.28 GB free
d: (on drive 0) 38.16 GB 12.56 GB free

Hop this is enough info. The problem can start without much PC use, just browsing net, or checking photo's. As I say the mouse and sound problem are definitely connected

Technotiger,

I use an optical mouse, so no ball.

Thanks everyone

Technotiger 20:36 07 Apr 05

Hmmm - I always try and find the simplest solutions first, pity that wasn't one of them.
What soundcard do you have, and I assume you have already tried all the easy stuff - like virus/adaware etc checks, battery-if used, System Restore?

Ya never know!!

Cheers.

jbp1982 20:42 07 Apr 05

A friends PC used to that, the mouse was jittery. It was cured when the system was cleared up from virii.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

Change the mouse from usb to ps/2 slot or vice versa?

Check there's no conflicts too....

As Technotiger says clean the mouse, ensure there's no fluff up in where the LED is, that can wreak havoc, just like in a ball mouse.

jbp1982 20:43 07 Apr 05

sorry TT I am slow at typing..

Skeletor 21:07 07 Apr 05

I haven't tried much yet (hoping there might have been a simple solution that didn't take too much time). Guess I'm gonna have to spend a fair bit of time checking for driver updates, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers etc.

It's just occured to me that the problem started after I installed SP2.

It's going to be a tricky one to resolve, as it's an intermittent problem, so no matter what I do, I'm not going to be sure that it's fixed for a week or so.

Unless someone has had an identical problem and knows the solution, I might just live with it for now, rather than spend time groping in the dark.

Thanks everyone for your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…