//some 3rd party need geo

sound lost

rbrtsmrvll6 19:25 22 May 06

I have lost all the sound on my wife's laptop. It doesn't have the welcoming Windows tune at switch on /shut down or sound on any games / applications.

I've tried retoring to an earlier date and have opened the Control Panel and adjusted the sound volume and the Speaker settings, all to no avail.

Does anybody have any idea or is divorce the only answer?

skidzy 19:34 22 May 06

Well to save the divorce..tell us what sound card it uses, run this and post back the make/model number click here

I presume its xp windows

howard63 19:35 22 May 06

have you looked in system - device manager and looked at the soundcard? It may have a yellow mark by it. If so click on it and remove then with luck it will be reinstalled when you next switch on and all will be well.

rbrtsmrvll6 19:53 22 May 06

Stupid me. Of course it is running Windows XP home as I should have said right at the beginning.
It is running Realtek High Definition Audio - is that the sound card?

rbrtsmrvll6 20:16 22 May 06

Thanks howard63. Using the Device Manager I found the Realtek High Definition Audio but as I indicated in my answer to skidzy I don't know if this is the sound card (yes a real amateur here) but it has no yellow mark by it

skidzy 20:44 22 May 06

Hi Rob...i think this is what you need click here

rbrtsmrvll6 22:05 22 May 06

Thanks skidzy, that was exactly what I needed and divorce is not.

skidzy 22:08 22 May 06

Another saved marriage Lol..well done Rob.Please dont forget to tick resolved as this may help others in the future.

rbrtsmrvll6 21:11 23 May 06

I spoke too soon, skidzy. I downloaded and installed Realtek High Definition Audio 1.38, the latest version. The installer asked me to restart and when I did played the Windows closing down tune.

However, when it restarted there was no sound and only a slight murmur of a goodbye tune on shutdown and now I get no sound at all.

My own feeling is to download version 1.37 or earlier.

What do you think?

skidzy 19:18 24 May 06

Rob....Try downloading again and save,log off the net and close any programs you may have open.
Hopefully this will install over the top,then reboot..post back,and tell us if it is working ok.

If it isnt working properly,you may well have a conflict going on.Also make sure your Microsoft updates are upto date.

Good luck

rbrtsmrvll6 19:26 25 May 06

Hi skidzy
I downloaded, logged off the net and looked for open programs to close, rebooted than installed agreed to restart and got goodbye tune but no hello tune again. Microsoft updates the laptop automatically

My wife now tells me that the laptop is under guarantee so I'll get in touch with Fujitsu Siemens.

I'll let you know what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…