Sound issues

coxonsglasses 11:00 31 Jan 07

Still ripping CDs to my computer and one CD caused Media Player to crash a couple of times last night. I've now lost all sound on my computer; nothing plays in Media Player (but, oddly, does in other programs like Musicmatch Jukebox) and none of the default Windows sounds play. The volume is definitely on and turned up... so what's happening?!

birdface 16:45 31 Jan 07

Probably a Codec problem,You may have to download a new codec pack,

birdface 17:10 31 Jan 07

Hi new codec pack, click here

realist 20:11 31 Jan 07

System Restore may get it back?

coxonsglasses 00:59 01 Feb 07

I downloaded the codec pack and ran it to install it, but still no sound... do I have to do something with the files it produced or something?

Demora 10:04 01 Feb 07

Two things I'd check is 'Sounds' in control panel (my pc has a habit of changing my speaker settings when it crashes. and also check Media players speaker/sound settings. (not sure where this is because I don't use Media player that much.

Also check the soundcard settings haven't been altered Sounds in control panel.

D

vinnyT 10:43 01 Feb 07

Double click the speaker icon in the notification bar (bottom right of your screen) and make sure that none of the mute boxes are ticked (and that the volume bars are not set too low.

Hope this helps.

coxonsglasses 13:34 01 Feb 07

Still nothing's making any difference... system restore maybe next option?

vinnyT 14:25 01 Feb 07

Stupid ? but, have you looked in device manager to check that the cound card doesn't have a yellow mark next to it?

-Control panel
-System
-Hardware
-Device manager
-Sound, video and game controllers

Another silly one. Have you made sure that the connections to your speakers/headphones are fully in?

If they are OK, then yes, it may be time to try a restore (backup your data/email files, just in case).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…