sound icon is missing

ponytail 13:25 PM 26 Jan 13

The sound / Volume icon down by the clock has dissapeared so have no audio how do I get it back

Chronos the 2nd 15:00 PM 26 Jan 13

Sorry could not resist.

Google.

johndrew 15:06 PM 26 Jan 13

Chronos the 2nd

I like the effect, but you can be cruel at times :-)

ponytail 15:18 PM 26 Jan 13

Hi Chronos the 2nd have gone into control panel and all I can see is a sound icon nothing for sounds and audio devices.As for selecting classic view there is no option to choose at the top left all I get is control panel or all control panel items when I click the one icon there.If it helps I am using windows 7

Chronos the 2nd 15:20 PM 26 Jan 13

Try this.

Right click in the task bar near the time display and you will get a pop up menu.

Click on properties.

Under system icons to always show, check volume.

Click Apply.

Chronos the 2nd 15:23 PM 26 Jan 13

And this method is a little more involved.

1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
  2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
  3. Navigate to the key HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify.
    1. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
  4. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
    1. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
    2. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
  5. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
    1. Then if the volume bar isn't there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.
  ponytail 15:41 PM 26 Jan 13

Hi Again Chronos the 2nd the volume icon says off and is not highlighted so how do I turn it on.Have not tried your 2nd method yet as you say it looks a bit more complicated

Chronos the 2nd 15:48 PM 26 Jan 13

I assume you mean,like the power icon on my desk top it is greyed out and you cannot click on it. Looks like option two. Or you can have a look at this. system icons. I know it says Vista but it should work.

Woolwell 16:57 PM 26 Jan 13

Try this - Right click on the taskbar - select properties, ten in the window that opens you should see two thirds the way down Notification area - click on customize look for volume and check that show icon and notifications is selected.

ponytail 17:43 PM 26 Jan 13

Hi woolwell when I get to volume it says speakers zero and nothing is highlighted everything is grey cannot change anything

ponytail 17:52 PM 26 Jan 13

Just noticed that the safely remove hardware icon has also dissapeared as I wanted to remove my external drive

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…