Sound drop put when using webcam on skype

chrismuir 23:08 25 Dec 06

Hi

Got webcams for myself and parents so that they can see their granddaughter more often. I already use skype so upgraded to their new version which is video capable (version 2.50.154).

Set up the webcam (logitech Quickcam Communicate STX) and all seems ok. We set up a call, and before we started the video the audio quality was great, then they started their video and I could see the image on my pc fine. When I started my video, there was a burst of static in my headset and I could no longer hear them. I think their audio went as well. As soon as I ended the call the audio returned to normal. Tried again and got the same result.

Has anyone had a similar problem, can't see what the problem is? Should I try using a different software (MSN Messenger perhaps?)

chrismuir 23:36 25 Dec 06

This webcam has a built in microphone, and also comes with a headset/microphone. Should I be using the built in mic or the one on the headset??

Stuartli 00:04 26 Dec 06

I would suggest using just the headset and mike in this case.

For Skype audio configuration and troubleshooting see:

click here

Stuartli 09:52 26 Dec 06

Talking about webcams, how's this for a Logitech bargain BOGOF offer?

click here

john-231489 10:08 26 Dec 06

Hi

Version 2.50 did give a lot of trouble with certain web cams. The latest version which has just been released is 3.0.0.198 and it resolves many of the problems. However if your friend uses his web cam with a built in mike and the computer speakers it can cause a feed back. I have a similar problem with a friend of mine and when he uses a dedicated headset and Mic the problem goes away. There is a wealth of information on the skype FAQ's and forum.

Hope this helps.

Stuartli 21:02 26 Dec 06

Just one other point. Try the conversation without using the webcam as it will take up a lot of the bandwidth.

golfpro 07:49 27 Dec 06

I am using Skype 2.50.154 with a logitech quick cam connect the model with 640x480 pixels. Mine has a small ear piece with a small mic six inches from the ear plug similar to a mobile phone hands free set up. My friends have all said that the cam picture is very good and the sound quality is also good. But sometimes the sound from my friends (not using the same set up), starts breaking up after a while. I'm not sure if it is my end or there's. But I would say its best to turn off your external speakers during a call and just use the ear piece or head set.
I didn't know there was an updated version, maybe I should try this?

Stuartli 13:40 27 Dec 06

Latest version of Skype is 3.0.0.198:

click here

Stuartli 13:42 27 Dec 06

We had to disconnect the webcams yesterday during a call to the Caribbean as it was taking up too much bandwidth and seriously affecting the sound.

chrismuir 16:13 27 Dec 06

Tried again today. All seems to work fine now - though video can be a bit slow. Don't think we changed anything so not sure what the problem was. I am on 2.50.0.154 and my father-in-law is on 3.0.0.198. Am using the mic that is built in to the webcam and my normal speakers and no feedback problems that I could see.....

Will only be using video sparingly, but can see what you meant by the bandwidth required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…