sound driver stops installing

fakir 12:55 12 Jul 03

Having installed which can't emember what, sound went off altogether although spks are OK. Followed advice in this forum to remove yellow question marks on audio and re install audio driver. OK until it reaches 50% and then hangs. Help pl.

smegs 01:52 13 Jul 03

Fakir, U don't tell us alot, try this link for new drivers, click here

fakir 13:28 13 Jul 03

Sorry smegs, but I'm at a loss. Running win 98, went to multimedia everything greyed out; went to devices and removed all relating to sound. Inserted mainboard CD, drivers, audio Ok, Ok, and when reached 50% installion it went into a loop sort of, CD running and nothing happens.

smegs 18:11 14 Jul 03

Fakir, If it's PCI/AGP, try a friends in it. Try it in a different slot. Get some more drivers. There may be a fault with the mobo disk.

fakir 20:41 14 Jul 03

Sorry smegs but am still green with these things - what's PCI/AGP. Sound card is Avacne AC97 if this helps. Where can I get other drivers and what do I look for (if drivers.com is OK)

woodchip 20:56 14 Jul 03

I presume you drivers are on CD, Go to device manager the one with the yellow mark, click update driver button when you get to ?have disc button click on it?, it may try looking at floppy disc that does not mater click browse button and point it to the CD-Rom you should have your sound CD-Rom in the comp. You only need the driver the software is still there as the driver should be but windows does that some times for me included

woodchip 20:59 14 Jul 03

PS you have onboard sound, NO card

fakir 19:21 15 Jul 03

woodchip, I've onboard sound even a card but I suppose no driver. I tried your advice it keeps telling me cannot find driver from CD. Would a win reinstall help cos I'm going to blow the whole damn thing up :-)

woodchip 16:22 16 Jul 03

You should not have onboard sound and a sound card running unless the onboard sound as been disabled the AC97 is onboard sound not a card. on the CD when you browse to the CD and folders depending on you OS you should look first for sound folder that will be on the motherboard CD inside it there will be Win9 and may be Win2000 and WinXP folder you will have to go to the folder that matches your OS

fakir 19:23 16 Jul 03

Yes that's where I was looking in the motherboard CD (drivers-audio-win 98) and it installed soundman I think it was. But when clicked on the prog nothing happened (it should have started to install something, at least that's what it said in "readme")

woodchip 20:10 16 Jul 03

I suggest you put the CD in the computer it should auto start then load all the drivers that it shows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…