sound driver advice needed please

sunnystaines 18:33 17 Jul 09

put new pc together has on board realtek sound which should be default as its enabled in BIOS.

only other sound source is on a hd4350 ati sapphire graphics card this should only kick the sound in if i use hdmi but as yet i have no hdmi monitor or lead.

i cannot get the realtek to be default sound the computer is showing the hdmi as default sound source. reloaded latest driver for realtek also tried original supplied cd each time drivers install but will not take charge as default. device manager shows all ok.

lost any offers of help please, using headphones tried two different sets, tried playback on youtube over the net and mediaplayer using files from hdd & cd's.

Technotiger 19:12 17 Jul 09

Even though you do not have hdmi monitor or lead, is there not the option in BIOS to disable that sound source - this would leave the realtek as the default.

sunnystaines 20:07 17 Jul 09

No could only find the onboard sound to enable, after trying realtek drivers from the cd, msi board maker site, tried realtek which advised you go to board makers site. the direct driver from realtek changed the name to realtek on all icons but still no sound. default and configure options in playback properties still greyed out. not keen to do a complete reinstall of windows having just got it how i liked it prior to testing sound.

realtek hd audio software in control panel of no use.

Terry Brown 20:25 17 Jul 09

It looks as if the hd4350 ati sapphire graphics card is the default option for your computer, and although you are using a SVGA cable for the monitor, the hdmi audio is still active.

It may be that the motherboard does not reconise the Audio card, because it is a hdmi chip set only.

The hmdi socket is a combined Audio /Visual unit.

This link may provide you with further information.

sunnystaines 21:07 17 Jul 09

your link did not appear.

I was under the impression that the hd4350 could only playback sound via headphones/speakers connected to a hdmi monitor with a hdmi lead and would not be capable of producing any response from the pc case.

i do not have a hdmi monitor or lead at present. managed to get all the icons back to realtek on the pc but no sound and using the test button in properties reports fail.

there is now a realtek update it vista updates which fails to install.

sunnystaines 21:42 17 Jul 09

can anyone one save me from a reformat and fresh install, new build over last couple of days so never got the sound working and no back up for this reason.

I am Spartacus 11:35 18 Jul 09

How about disabling 'ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio' in Device Manager?

sunnystaines 13:30 18 Jul 09

can you give me some tips as to locate the function manager, when found do i just disable or delete sound function?

I am Spartacus 14:08 18 Jul 09

In Device Manager expand the 'Sound, video and game controller' section and then right click on the 'ATI Function...' and you should have the option to Disable it (as well as update driver & uninstall).

My own graphics card also has HDMI functionality but doesn't cause the problem you're experiencing so I'm puzzled why yours doesn't work properly. I am using XP if that makes a difference.

sunnystaines 15:33 18 Jul 09

tried as you mentioned and disabled, restarted still no joy, I have been told that in vista with realtek you need to change a setting from speakers to headphones but searched and searched and have not a clue how to find it.And no one could remember it.

I am Spartacus 16:00 18 Jul 09

This might be worth a try. Open up the Realtek software, select the Audio I/O tab then plug your speakers in. When it auto detects them tell it it's headphones rather than the other options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…