sound distortion on playing music

Fred-220910 22:10 07 Oct 03

when I play mp3 or cd my sound breaks up or slows down I am using windows media player 9 and my op system is windows xp pro

Peverelli 20:22 08 Oct 03

Which sound card? Does it happen every time or now & then?

Fred-220910 23:57 08 Oct 03

itis an on board sound card the motherboard is an msi ms6309 version 5.0 oun is via ac'97 audio controller

Ironman556 00:25 09 Oct 03

I think I'm right in saying that WMP uses the software to play the CD instead of directly from hardware. If your CPU is busy, it could cause a slow down and choppy sound. try using another player if you have one to see if it makes a difference.

Standard things to check are:

Output (volume controls) are not at max

Cables are all intact and connected properly (both to the right place and firmly into the socket)

No sound effects are enabled

The equilizer in WMP (or other software is set right)

Simple things I know, but sometimes the most stupid thing can be the cause. (I know, I've done it too! ...Although the one where the cats bought in a mouse that bit through my speaker cable wasn't my fault...(really it happened))

Fred-220910 18:45 14 Oct 03

hello again
I have tried all the sugestions but its still the same

Peverelli 15:43 15 Oct 03

There seems to have been a few problems on this site recently about this onboard sound 'card' (for example: click here )

Buying a new soundcard (you can get then fairly cheaply) is probably the best answer. Sorry.

Fred-220910 21:06 15 Oct 03

thanks for all your help I think we have cracked it I reinstalled windows xp and all seems ok

Thanks again for you help

Fred-220910 21:08 15 Oct 03

i have ordered a new sound card just in case

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…