Sound disappears when I turn my PC on - help !?

delgado 11:05 12 May 04

Hi,
When I turn on my PC, it no longer plays any sounds. Up until recently, it had been working fine connected to 5.1 speakers, happily playing CD's radio etc. But now when the PC is started, it seems to forget that sound is connected and won't play anything.
It is only fixed by the classic turn the PC off (the tower itself at the back) and back on again, but I don't want to do this every time I shut down and then start the PC.
Any ideas ? What info do you need?

Thanks
c

Ps. Not the most clued up so answers in simple terms would be great !

delgado 11:17 12 May 04

I've just turned my PC off/back on and notice now that 'SB Audigy Audio 9400' was previously missing from the 'Volume' page within the 'Sounds and Audio Devices Properties' settings in Control Panel (I have XP). This is presumably why the PC was unable to play sounds. How can I teach it to remember the sound card is there when I start the PC nomrmally?

Should I try reinstalling the sound card (not that I know how to do it...)?

Thanks for any help

skell 18:37 12 May 04

reinstall the drivers for the card form the disc that came with it. Insert the disc into your drive it should autorun then select install. it will over right any existing drivers on your machine for that card and hopefully fix your problem

delgado 10:23 14 May 04

Thanks for the suggestion skell, it appears to be working fine now.
Thanks again !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…