Sound Device problem

My "System" properties suggests that a sound device is attached. Even when I remove this device and reboot the PC, it will recognize the new hardware and install it.

However, I am being prompted that there is a problem with my sound device and no sound is forthcoming! Also, when checking my sound and multimedia properties, the fields are "greyed out", suggesting that no sound device is attached.

Any help is appreciated!

Stuartli 13:40 09 Apr 06

It could be an onboard sound chipset which would require the drivers to be installed to be usable as well as Enabled in the Bios.

The drivers can be found on the manufacturer's website (most likely to be C-Media or Realtek chipset) or on the motherboard disk.

I use a Soundblaster PCI128 (WDM) and have downloaded an updated driver from the Creative website, however when trying to install it I get the message: " Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster audio card on your system"!

Legolas 14:17 09 Apr 06

Is this a soundcard fitted to a PCI slot on your mb or is it onboard sound? if it is a separate sound card try taking it out and reinserting it and allow windows to find it and install it

terryf 14:25 09 Apr 06

I have onboard sound that only works if drivers from the motherboard installation disks are loaded

It is onboard sound and I have downloaded an updated driver without success. I have noticed that in Accessories the Volume control does not load either.

I have run DirectX and Window Media player and the errors shown were as follows:

Media player:
Error ID = 0xC00D11BA, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Direct X:
DirectSound test result:Failure at Step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8004005 (Generic failure)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…