Sound Device Not Installed

Biffette43 07:25 12 Sep 08

Have had my desktop PC for a couple of years now (running Windows XP) and using it with no problems. A month ago, despite my best efforts, it was floored by a virus. I bought a Windows XP disc and reloaded the operating system. Since then I have got back all applications I had on it except now there is no sound and it says 'Sound Device not installed'. Can somebody please advise how I go about finding the soundcard that I know is on there, reinstalling the driver and/or finding out whether there's now a problem with it. Thanks.

Graham. 09:13 12 Sep 08

If Device Manager can't find the drivers, Everest should tell you which sound card you have click here

baldydave 10:03 12 Sep 08

Hi,
did you remember to install ALL your motherboard drivers after installing xp?
Might be worth a look at motherboard site to download latest drivers.

Biffette43 21:12 12 Sep 08

Thank you so much for your advice - I now have sound and am so pleased

peter99co 21:17 12 Sep 08

Wot did you have to do to fix it?

Jak_1 21:22 12 Sep 08

You need to re-install the sound driver. Go here and download belarc advisor:

click here

Then run and after it has scanned your system look under multimedia, there it will tell you the name of the soundchip/card. Then go to the makers site, download and install the latest driver. Then you should have your sound back.

conrail 21:35 25 Nov 08

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…