Sound Card for Windows 7 64bit

Madrat 29 Dec 11

Hi,

Can anyonsuggestst a "cheepsound cardrd that works properly with Windows 7 home premium 64bit.

I have tried 2 so far with poor to disastrousouse results.

First was my faithfull C-Meedia 8738 LX with the downloaded drivers from C-media. It worked but half the functions were not there and it made the system almost 90 seconds slower to start up.

Next came Sound Blaster Audigy 24bit. Windows installed it but it didnt work. Downloaded drivers from Creative and it worked then there was an update for it and the PC crashed. Tryed again without the update and all was fine for a few days (although most of the features were missing) then it started to sound like a CD was stuck when playing sounds and I had to reboot every time it did this, then once again it crashed the PC. These were both PCI cards.

I'm now using a 99p external sound dongle but it dosnt work with speekers only headphones.

I'm now hesitant to buy anything. The cheepest sound card I have seen that Microsoft recomend for windows 7 64bit is the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express - OEM at £35 but I'm reluctant espeshialy as its really a re branded Audigy and not a true X-Fi.

So can anyone help? Has anyone experianced the same problems?

northumbria61 30 Dec 11

Maybe you just need the codecs pack - Download and Install from here enter link description here

ICF 30 Dec 11

One from the ASUS range

I have This one one and it works no problems with w7 64bit

Zeppelyn 31 Dec 11

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express, I have one of these fitted and works perfectly wirh Win 7 Home Premium x64 on an Asus board. What board do you have, most come with onboard audio.

D@ve 31 Dec 11

I've also used the Asus card in a client's PC without any issues.

I currently have one of these on order for another client who wanted to use 5.1 speakers with his PC as cheaply as possible, and also have optical connectors on the card. I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow, so if you wish I can let you know how the install goes? He is also running Windows 7 x64.

D@ve 31 Dec 11

Sorry having just double checked, the Asus card that I used was this one (a little bit cheaper).

D@ve 31 Dec 11

The £9 Xenta card works fine. All the features are available (including sound effects etc).

Only issue I have with it (which probably won't be relevant to you) is that the optical in port does not support Dolby Digital - only stereo.

Madrat 01 Jan 12

Hi, sorry for the delay in answering, have been away for new year and had no internet. I'm using a Abit AW9D. the on board sound card for that doesn't work very well for 7 so that is why I'm looking for a new one. Which Xenta card do you mean? Do the ones you have mentioned come with the correct drivers on the CD?

D@ve 02 Jan 12

This one. Yes, it came with a mini CD with drivers on it.

Madrat 02 Jan 12

excellent I will git it a go

D@ve 02 Jan 12

OK. Be aware that it still uses a C-Media chip, and hence C-Media drivers, but they worked flawlessly as far as I could tell.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message