Sound Card suitable for playing Keyboard (Midi)

Giggle n' Bits 23:33 05 Dec 04

Can someone or a few PCA forum users drop your seuggestions here please for a reasonable Sound card that will be able to take a Keyboard device like a Midi port I think they call it.

Do Creative have them and which model/s

pubsinger 00:59 06 Dec 04

I don`t think there`s a sound card on the market that doesn`t have a MIDI port. For most of them you`ll need a MIDI breakout cable.
How do you intend to use it? i.e...
Do you want to play MIDI notes into your PC and record them as MIDI files? In this case almost any soundcard with MIDI in will do.
Or............
Do you want to PLAY your (external) MIDI keyboard via your PC using MIDI files?? (The sound comes out of your keyboard) Same spec as above.
Or.......
Are you using a MIDI controller keyboard which doesn`t have sounds of its own but relies on ano ther sound-producing device such as an external sound module or PC soundcard? If this last one is what you want, then you need to get the best soundcard you can afford.
Most of the modern Creative cards do a more than adequate job, but if you`re looking for pro or semi-pro sounds go for pro (aka expensive) cards like Turtle Beach etc.. Btter still, buy a sound module from the likes of Roland, Yamaha, or Korg,

Giggle n' Bits 01:40 06 Dec 04

Thanks for you reply,

What I want to be able to do is be able to use Sibelius & Cubase, but mainly worried cos I want to sequence & record using a microphone into the PC. So I take it the mic problem is easy and pluging in a Keybaord just needs one of them little adapter cables.

pubsinger 18:17 12 Dec 04

I assume that the music will "come out of" the keyboard, not the PC speakers. In this case you don`t need a pro soundcard. Depending on your budget I`d go for one of the creative labs cards. If you can afford it get the Audigy - the one with the external box. This is a well thought-out system which should be more than adequate for what you need.

Good luck

:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…