Sound Card Question

Graham ® 19:37 07 Apr 04

I am renovating a PC to donate to a worthy cause. The only things missing are speakers. The sound card is CLiC ATC931. The question is, does it need powered speakers or not.

Diemmess 19:52 07 Apr 04

From what you say, it needs speakers if you want to hear anything.

Without speakers or h/phones you will only hear the basic pip on boot-up, or a dreaded error sound if one occurs ( from the tiny speaker in the case). You also might hear the screech of a modem if there is one fitted.

Indigo 1 19:55 07 Apr 04

You will probably be able to connect headphones directly and therefore small low powered speakers too but for a reasonable level of sound, powered speakers are best (built-in amplifier).

Graham ® 19:56 07 Apr 04

:-) I meant plain speakers or mains powered ones.

Gongoozler 20:21 07 Apr 04

Hi Graham ®. If the sound card has a Line Out jack, this will be about 1V signal level at about 600 Ohms impedance. There won't be enough power for a useful sound level with unpowered speakers, and so will need mains or battery powered speakers. You will only be able to use unpowered speakers if the card has speaker out sockets (if there is such a card).

Graham ® 20:30 07 Apr 04

Thanks, I'll check. I had a PC about the same age as this one, it had unpowered speakers, so I thought this may be the same. Never thought to check the jacks.

Gaz 25 20:43 07 Apr 04

If you dont want powerful output then unpowered will be fine.

But if you want to be able to hear it and have a good sound performance, then the 1V output isnt going to do much, as Gongoozler said.

But some powered speakers for an acceptable output.

Gongoozler 15:01 08 Apr 04

The maximum power from a 1V signal at 600 Ohms is about 1.7mW, possibly audible, but definitely not ear-blasting ;-).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…