Sound card problems

Madrat 18:37 12 Feb 11

I have an ASROCK K7S41GX motherboard (not the best I know but it was the only socket A available when my MSi died) I have not been a fan of the on board sound since I had it so when I found my old C Media 6 channel sound card I fitted it and the difference in volume and quality was amassing, however, the start up time of the PC was dramatically increased, it took well over twice as long to get the the log in screen and then an extra 30 -40 seconds to load personal settings. So anyway I have 3 questions, 1/ why is this? 2/ will all sound cards cause the same problem? 3/ are external usb sound cards just the same?

Running XP on Athlon 3000 with 2GB ram

woodchip 19:08 12 Feb 11

it could be conflicts in IRQ's as Sound card seam to be more than other cards. To Check Go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information look under IRQ

Madrat 19:12 12 Feb 11

Ive removed it now and gone back to the crappy on board sound but will give it a go.

GaT7 19:50 12 Feb 11

Another reason for the slower startup could be C-Media software that was added to the startup programs. This is probably not needed & could be disabled. G

Madrat 19:52 12 Feb 11

I checked that and could not find anything that had been added?

GaT7 19:55 12 Feb 11

For the C-Media card you could try more updated drivers & see if that improves the sound.

Latest offered by Asrock for your board click here.

Or, if you know the exact part number, you could get a later version directly from C-Media click here. G

Madrat 20:10 12 Feb 11

Driver has actually made it worse!

GaT7 20:12 12 Feb 11

Which ones did you try?

To revert to the previous drivers, do a System Restore to before you installed them. Or, you can 'roll-back driver' in Device Manager. G

Madrat 20:15 12 Feb 11

The one from ASROCK. drivers on C media site are the same as the ones on the disk that came with sound card, there is an update for it from windows but it makes no difference and removes some of the options.

GaT7 20:25 12 Feb 11

"...drivers on C media site are the same as the ones on the disk that came with sound card.."

How long ago did you buy the soundcard? The oldest driver date mentioned on their website is 2008-10-14 (for v8.17.47). G

Madrat 20:33 12 Feb 11

3rd from the top of list. Same as the one on the windows update not the same as the one on CD sorry.

the card is over 5 years old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…