Sound card problems

e-smart 21:43 12 Oct 04

I installed suse linux (which is supposed to work side-by-side in a hard disk with windows)on my new HP pavilion with 256mb, 40gb and 2.4gb processor, and running windows xp. Unfortunately the windows partition was moved in the process and this caused windows to completely stop running (blank screen upon boot-up).

After many days of trying to resolve the problem, I eventually wiped the entire hard disk and re-installed windows. and ever since then, my computer has been unable to play any sound. All diagnostic tools i have used have mentioned that 'the sound card drivers are not available', and sometimes that 'there is no sound card'. but the PC used to play sound before i had carried out the installations. and the linux software presently plays sound. At one time, I even bought and installed a new sound card and it's driver but without any luck and HP computers now come without recovery discs (they are pre loaded in hard drives) and mine is wiped.

I now use 2 hard drives one running windows without sound and the other linux.
Any ideas...?

Sans le Sou 22:14 12 Oct 04

Have you actually loaded the sound card drivers into the XP partition. Do you have a separate soundcard and if so what is it?

e-smart 14:41 13 Oct 04

There is on-board sound in the computers motherboard, this is what the Linux OS uses to produce sound but windows lacks the drivers for this sound card, and 'no' I have not loaded any sound drivers, as I have no source of acquiring the correct and original ones that came with the PC, not even the xp disk has any.

Giggle n' Bits 15:13 13 Oct 04

linked to the Modems. Identify your motherboard would then enable you to get the audio drivers.

Have you tried to see if the Windows update can pick up which audio you have ?

e-smart 19:38 13 Oct 04

How do I identify my motherboard? i've used Windows update a few times, hoping it could detect the problem and download the right drivers from somewhere online, but it only bothers about Microsoft updates and patches.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…