Sound Card Problem

Gaz W 16:30 03 Dec 03

I am repairing a PC for someone and I have come across a problem with the SoundBlaster Live! sound card that is installed. After setting up Windows XP Pro, the sound card wasn't working because it didn't have any drivers (obviously). Having installed them, I can't get the sound to work. It is not set for digital output and I am trying it on speakers that are known to be working. Whenever I put the speakers into the sound card, the speakers make a loud popping sound. Also, if I don't plug them in and just hold the 3.5mm jack behind the socket for it, I can hear a loud buzzing sound, like an electrical type sound (???), coming from the speakers. No sound comes out of the speakers though, other than buzzing/hissing in the background.

I've checked the card to make sure nothing is making contact with it inside and I've checked the connections and everything, but it won't work!

All I can think of is that one of the rubber feet on the case is missing and maybe it's something to do with earthing, but I don't know much about electronics.

madPentium 14:40 04 Dec 03

I presume the motherboard doesnt have onboard sound that hasnt been disabled in the bios?
Have you tried the sound card in a different slot?
can you try the sound card in a different pc?

madPentium 14:41 04 Dec 03

Believe me, it has nothing to do with rubber feet.

Gaz W 16:39 04 Dec 03

I came to the conclusion it wasn't an electrical problem or interference after I wrote the posting. The card has been tried in another PC and it worked perfectly. I also tried another sound card (known to be working) in this PC and it was extremely quiet.

I have yet to try it in another PCI slot, but I don't know why there should be a problem.

Gaz W 18:58 04 Dec 03

I've now tried it in a different PCI slot, but still the same problem. The only way to hear any sound is to turn the system volume to maximum in Control Panel and the other volumes to maximum, and even then it is barely audible with your ear right up to the speaker. The background hissing is actually louder than the sound.

I can't understand what could be the problem, because I have formatted the hard disk, installed Windows XP from scratch, and no settings have been tampered with.

Gaz W 19:16 04 Dec 03

I have uninstalled and reinstalled this sound card several times and have now tried it in other slots.

Gaz W 19:36 04 Dec 03

Is there a particular PCI slot maybe that I should plug it into? The motherboard is an MSI MS 6309.

Gaz W 22:32 04 Dec 03

Any sound card connected in this PC seems to be playing very quietly. The onboard sound had problems and this is why the sound card is being used. The motherboard is an MSI MS-6309 and the onboard sound has been disabled in the BIOS. The only way to hear the sound is to put the speakers right up to your ears and even then it is barely audible. Every possible volume control is set to maximum, and both card and speakers are known to be working when installed in another PC.

The PC has a fresh install of Windows XP Professional and is completely virus free. The sound card is a Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital and it has been tried in PCI slot 2 and PCI slot 4, which is what it is currently installed in.

Also, there is a PCI graphics card (despite there being an AGP slot), modem and network card (all PCI).

Nothing I try seems to work! Help!

Gaz W 13:25 06 Dec 03

Gaz W 01:21 07 Dec 03

I don't know why, but I wasn't far wrong when I said it might have been the case. Unusually, the problem was the power supply. When I changed PSUs everything worked!

Thanks anyway madPentium!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…