Sound card not working

the-george 20:56 14 Nov 05

I am setting up an older PC which has a sound card fitted (creative audio PCI. The drivers were automatically loaded from Win ME and all appears OK in device Manager.

No sound comes from the card, however, when I plug the speakers into the onboard audio socket the sound is ok. Obviously I need to switch this off but I have looked in the BIOS (Award)and cannot see where to do this.

Any ideas?

woodchip 21:05 14 Nov 05

Do you have a Speaker in System Tray near the Clock. If you do right click it and choose open make sure speakers are not muted and volume full up for play back for recording look top left

citadel 21:08 14 Nov 05

in the bios it will probably be ac97 sound

the-george 21:09 14 Nov 05

Checked that out first thing after I had checked the speakers were working on another PC.

woodchip 21:11 14 Nov 05

Look in device Manager to make sure no yellow icons's this means driver not loaded

GaT7 21:11 14 Nov 05

Have a look at your motherboard manual - the PDF one if you don't have a paper one - it should tell you how to turn off onboard sound in the BIOS.

woodchip, if he's getting onboard sound, then Speaker control cannot be muted, can it? G

woodchip 21:14 14 Nov 05

Yes Onboard can still be muted in Sys tray

GaT7 21:19 14 Nov 05

woodchip, I was referring to the-george's first post, 2nd para, which said, "No sound comes from the card, however, when I plug the speakers into the onboard audio socket the sound is ok." G

woodchip 21:23 14 Nov 05

Then the Onboard is actting as Default. He needs to check Mobo Manual for a jumper or in BIOS to disable it. It can also be disabled in Device Manager by Go to Sound AC97 do not use

the-george 21:26 14 Nov 05

Managed to find the onboard sound entry under Integrated Peripherals and it was enabled. Disabled it but when PC back on and tried palying a cd it stated that no hardware was available.
However, as stated earlier, device manager says card is ok and when I look under the sound and multia media in Control panel all seems og there as well.

If no other ideas I might just pull the card and use the onboard sound but I like to solve problems if possible.

woodchip 21:30 14 Nov 05

After disabling the Onboard you need to reload the Sound drivers for the Card you fitted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…